What's new

Will a UK Keyboard Work on a Surface Pro Bought in the US?

Jimsin

I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't find a relevant post. I'm a new member and happily found this Forum while researching buying options for a 128gb Pro. I spend a lot of time in the States and fly on an aircraft that has US power outlets; an American machine makes sense (not released in the UK and will be cheaper as well!) If I decide to buy a type cover in the future from a UK store, will it be compatible?

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't find a relevant post. I'm a new member and happily found this Forum while researching buying options for a 128gb Pro. I spend a lot of time in the States and fly on an aircraft that has US power outlets; an American machine makes sense (not released in the UK and will be cheaper as well!) If I decide to buy a type cover in the future from a UK store, will it be compatible?

Welcome Jimsin. Yes, you can install language packs so any keyboard supported by those language packs will work. Buy a US Surface switch to UK English and then you are good to go.

JP

Thanks for the answer, I'm getting loads of good info from this Forum, it has a friendly helpful vibe.

Jimsin, I bought my RT in the States but the keyboard in the UK. I can confirm all works fine. Welcome to the forum
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Yes when you firs start up the surface you can change all the setting to UK with UK Keyboard, works exactly the same as a desktop. I did a reset and forgot to select the UK locale, but it's possible in the settings (just requires a reboot).

I bought my Pro in US and the keyboard in UK and everything works great. As other people have said - you just change the software settings to UK.

Back