What's new

Will they ever release a "Hard Cover"?

BigBoiii

What do you guys think, will they ever come out with something like a "hard cover" for the surface pro? Something that supports the display without having to use the kickstand, thus improving the laptop use experience. Also something with a better trackpad with clickable mouse buttons.

I owned a surface pro 2 and my biggest complaint (and reason I got rid of it) was that the type cover trackpad was terrible. Small and unusable mouse buttons.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you guys think, will they ever come out with something like a "hard cover" for the surface pro? Something that supports the display without having to use the kickstand, thus improving the laptop use experience. Also something with a better trackpad with clickable mouse buttons.

I owned a surface pro 2 and my biggest complaint (and reason I got rid of it) was that the type cover trackpad was terrible. Small and unusable mouse buttons.

Have you used the pro3 type cover? The mouse is great.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Nope.... they have said this in the past. The traditional 2 and 1 keyboard dock is covered by the OEM Partners and is not part of the design ethos of the Surface Products.

The Trackpad is much improved on the Gen3 Devices.

OP
B

BigBoiii

:( that's unfortunate. I know one problem with the current covers (even tho pro 3 cover took steps to improve this) is that using it on your lap in laptop mode isn't ideal. It doesn't have a sturdy base. Something like a hard cover could greatly improve this.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cant really agree with that. I know it seems like it would be more *something* with more bulk but it's not really the case. I was just comparing an Asus with battery keyboard dock and there's very little difference. I think the real issue is size, unless you increase to 14" it's going to be about the same. This is all a psychosomatic illusion, and somewhat of an Internet Meme fostered by certain blogger analysts, the power of suggestion, these are not the droids your looking for.

OP
B

BigBoiii

I was imagining something with more "bulk" to help stabilize the base, along with support at the connection hinge to enable laptop use without using the kickstand.

CrippsCorner

A hard keyboard cover in the same material as the actual Surface would be awesome. I know they are currently leaving this to the OEMs to produce, but I kind of get the feeling Microsoft aren't going to end up caring as much about them...