What's new

Win 8.1 overview

kristalsoldier

Thanks! Very interesting developments on the 8.1 front. I am most eager about the Skydrive integration. Can't wait till they issue the final release. Any idea when that is supposed to come along?

ArnoldC

This Preview is fast!

That's the first thing I noticed after installing it, using a "boot from VHD" mode, so that I don't screw up my current Windows 8 environment. Loving it so far.

OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

This Preview is fast!

That's the first thing I noticed after installing it, using a "boot from VHD" mode, so that I don't screw up my current Windows 8 environment. Loving it so far.
hey A, can you detail how to do the VHD mode, I want to try to give this option a go on either my wife's rt or my SP. Thx

ArnoldC

1. Create a VHD from Disk Management. I created a 40GB VHD (fixed) in C:\Data\VHD\Win8.1.vhd

2. Make a bootable USB drive. I already have one always ready, but loaded with Windows 8, so I just replaced it with the files from the Windows 8.1 ISO download.

3. Boot from USB drive

4. When it comes to the screen where you can select a partition to install, press SHIFT-F10. It will bring you to the Command prompt.

Type-

diskpart

select vdisk file="drv:\data\vhd\win8.1.vhd" (please note that the drv: must be replaced with the drive letter where your usual C: is, which in my case is now E:)

attach vdisk

Go back to the Partition screen and hit refresh. You'll see the VHD partition. Select and install on that partition.

5. Sit back and enjoy.

Cheers!

OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

thx. just so i am clear after these steps, on future boots do you just get the option on either to pick to boot to. also to get rid of it is it just deleting the partition

ArnoldC

You will get an option, the default (30 sec count down) is now the 8.1 Preview.

And yes, you are correct that cleaning up is just removing that .vhd file and the boot option via GUI or bcdedit.

ps.

The RT does not have an ISO :( and in addition I believe a boot from USB is not possible without messing with UEFI, but I may be wrong.