What's new

Win10 Update observations . . .

Russ

This is really in the "for whatever it's worth" department, because I really don't intend to do anything about it at this point, other than watch and learn.

I have (had) five machines in the awaiting upgrade category: My SPro1, a Win7 laptop, two 8.1 64-bit desktops and an 8.1 32-bit desktop (my Office computer) which I do not intend to upgrade at this point due to a somewhat critical software problem. The "had" category is one of the 8.1 desktops which is now being upgraded via the "Media Creation Tool." It's still running as I write this.

I am also running Win10-10240 on 3 or 4 (if you count dual-boot) machines and am happy with it.

What I found interesting is that on each of the machines in the "awaiting" category, the Update History shows two or three "Failed" attempts to upgrade to Win10. This is different from what I expected. I thought the Win10 upgrade would occur with permission. Even the "Get Win10" message has a "Notify me when ready" block, which I had clicked on each of those machines. Attempting to install when I am not looking does not, in my literal world view, fall into the "Notify Me" category.

Mostly, I don't care, except for my Office computer, which I do not want upgraded until I have an update for my postage program (or a replacement). Those "Failed attempts" concerned me enough that I have cloned that drive and keep that system offline unless I am sitting at it. I, and only I, will decide when or if it is upgraded.

When the Media Creation Tool upgrade is finished on the current machine, which I assume will be without incident, I will work my way through the remaining systems (other than my Office computer). I do them one at a time, because I'm kinda back in the woods here and my internet connection is a little slow. The squirrels that run the little cages are not reliable. In the cool mornings they're out gathering hickory nuts, and, in the afternoons it's too hot to run in their little fur coats.

Anyhow, for whatever it's worth.

Regards,
Russ

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to add more for whatever it's worth... I got this email from Microsoft today 7/31/15

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

When will my free upgrade arrive?

You’ve already reserved, so your free upgrade is on the way. This is the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience.

Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or in a few weeks.

In the meantime, you can always check your upgrade status in the Get Windows 10 app. Find the app by clicking on the Windows icon on your task bar.

Here are some common questions about the upgrade process. Click on the links for answers.

When will I get my free upgrade?
How long does it take to install the upgrade?
What if I have more than one Windows device – can I upgrade them all?
What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?
Will my PC or tablet be compatible with Windows 10?

More questions? Check out the FAQ

Absolutely can’t wait? You have a couple of options to get your upgrade sooner:
1. Visit a Microsoft Store for free upgrade services.
2. Use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or more devices (recommended for tech-savvy users only).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Expanding the first link...
If you reserved your free upgrade, it’s on the way. You’re part of the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience. Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or weeks. Absolutely can’t wait? Tech savvy users can use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or multiple devices.

OP
Russ

Russ

Tech savvy users can use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or multiple devices.

GreyFox --

I had to check my business card to see if I qualified to use it, but Media Creation Tool is slick. I have already used it (them) to create ISOs for future use -- both 32 & 64 Bit. (I mess with computers a lot.) Also used it to upgrade the one computer I mentioned earlier. That completed, as expected, without incident. Took all day, but that was because I was working outside, so when it needed an input, it had to wait until I came back to the shop for some reason.

I have now started the upgrade process on my Win7 laptop. I don't expect that to be any problem, but may (or not) be interesting because it is my only Win7 upgrade.

By the way, was this you hangin' around where I feed the deer? Next time, stop in for a drink.
GamePix028.jpg

Take care,
Russ

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
GreyFox --

I had to check my business card to see if I qualified to use it, but Media Creation Tool is slick. I have already used it (them) to create ISOs for future use -- both 32 & 64 Bit. (I mess with computers a lot.) Also used it to upgrade the one computer I mentioned earlier. That completed, as expected, without incident. Took all day, but that was because I was working outside, so when it needed an input, it had to wait until I came back to the shop for some reason.

I have now started the upgrade process on my Win7 laptop. I don't expect that to be any problem, but may (or not) be interesting because it is my only Win7 upgrade.

By the way, was this you hangin' around where I feed the deer? Next time, stop in for a drink.
GamePix028.jpg

Take care,
Russ
Haha, not me, my cousins. :)

OP
Russ

Russ

Haha, not me, my cousins. :)

GreyFox --

Ok, so I'll say "Hello" to your cousins next chance I get. I have a "game camera" out there so I can get deer pictures to post on my website for my granddaughters in San Diego.

Anyhow, one more down. The Win7 laptop is now a Win10 laptop. There was more stuff to do, as a laptop (HPEnvy14) has more dedicated hardware stuff, but it was largely without incident. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but bedtime beckons. So far, this Win10 Upgrade stuff has been a breeze.

Maybe tomorrow I'll do my SurfacePro1, unless I get company for the weekend, in which case it will be Monday. A man has to have his priorities in order.

Take care,
Russ