What's new

Solved Windows 10 Remote Desktop Mystery

Russ

I have four machines running Windows 10, 64-bit:
* All are latest build and current on updates.
* All are desktops, and are relatively "modern." Running I7 processors, from -875 to -3820, on ASUS motherboards, with NVidia video cards and ample memory (8 - 16GB).

Two of them will both initiate and receive Remote Desktop connections, both to and from Win10 and Win8.1 systems.

Two of them will initiate connections, but will not receive them. Both have Remote Connections enabled and Network Discovery turned on. An attempt to connect prompts the box that tells me the system is turned off, not on the network or out to lunch. I can access either of them with file manager via the network.

Oddly enough, those two systems are almost identical: both running I7-2600's on the same ASUS motherboard. Only difference is one has an NVidia GTX460 and the other a 9800GT. The latter is my "Office computer," which I am running BIOS selectable boot with Win10 and Win8.1. In its 8.1 mode, it routinely accepts Remote Desktop connections. In my deep heart, I just don't think it is hardware connected, but cannot figure what it is.

I have done the "sfc /scannow" routine on both, with no change. I have cursed them and prayed over them -- with equal lack of success.

I kept thinking that "the next build will fix it," but no luck there either. My hope now is that RTM will fix it. If not, I guess I will have to get more serious about finding the problem.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Regards,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Also, RDP is not available in Home Edition.
Can you telnet to port 3389 on the local machine.

GreyFox --
All of my Win10 systems are Pro.
I didn't know about the Telnet option, but tried it with No Joy. I tried both system name and IP address, but got a "Connect failed" result with both.

Thanks,
Russ

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
GreyFox --
All of my Win10 systems are Pro.
I didn't know about the Telnet option, but tried it with No Joy. I tried both system name and IP address, but got a "Connect failed" result with both.

Thanks,
Russ
Try with the firewall off...
Also look at "netstat -an" output for listening port 3389.

OP
Russ

Russ

Try with the firewall off....

GreyFox --

Thank you, thank you!!

That wasn't the answer, but, on the way there, I saw something that had somehow escaped my attention countless times: On both of those systems the network was "Public" rather than "Private." How they got that way, I cannot imagine. (My semi-Buddhist Ladyfriend would suggest it was something I did in a past life.)

Why I had not noticed it can only be attributed to casual arrogance, I guess. I live alone, so naturally my network is Private. Right?? Welllll, maybe not. :)

Thank you again,
Russ

p.s.: Leeshor - Mark the puppy as Solved! Thanks.