What's new

Windows 10 and battery life

Cybero

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and I didn't find answer to my question :-/
So sorry if it has been discussed before

I own a Surface 3 ans I installed windows 10 on it (install from scratch with Microsoft iso)
Current build: 10240

Everything is fine exept.. the battery life is horrible
With brightness à 30% and just doing web browsing, the battrey just hold on for around 4h

Is it the same on your side ?
What can I do to extend it ?

With Windows 8.1 I was around 8h...

Regards,

Cybero

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How did you get an ISO of 10240? It isn't out yet....

Battery Life during the Preview Program has been bad due to the debug code in the Builds, for me 10240 has brought back the expected battery life on my S3. Have you ran all of the updates? Are you using the stock drivers? It takes about 48-72 hours for most of the background optimizations and indexing to finish and that improves battery life.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There are online instructions for creating an iso from the download.
True...but that isn't an ISO from Microsoft it is creating an ISO from ESD and can lead to corruption depending on tools used to build it, I'm attempting to verify source and build number....

OP
C

Cybero

Thanks for your answers

I installed the iso from 10162 build (last iso from Microsfot I think)
Then updated to 10166 and finally 10240 this week-end
Windows Update tells me no more update and I use stock drivers

But yesterday again: 4 small hours of normal use and my S3 was at 15% battery

Maybe I should wait few days until optimizations end ? (Like suggested by jnjroach)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I should have asked, what browser are you using? Chrome is known battery killer....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chrome is a known battery hog. avoid it for now if you can. Last time I checked, I opened up a page in Edge and cpu usage was 7% for edge, the same page in chrome and cpu usage for the chrome service was 15-16%.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed, I use Chrome... but I used it under win 8.1 and wasn't so killer
Chrome can lower battery life by 25-50%....its developers have used cheats to get the performance they desire. The biggest is keeping the CPU running at a higher rate than competing browsers....

malberttoo

The man ^^^ speaks the truth. I love Chrome, I use it daily on my desktop at work, but it is a resource hog.

On my SP3, it drains the battery faster and my machine runs warmer, not to mention that it consumes much more RAM then does IE.

I am on Win 10, and I use IE almost exclusively on my SP3.