What's new

Windows 10 Linux Subsystem

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any users of the Windows 10 Linux subsystem here?

I've just started a Masters in Bioinformatics and as part of this I need to use lots of Linux based software (and also BASH commands etc). I have been playing with it for a while and tried using various virtualbox VM's but never been very satisfied with them.

I recently gave the subsystem a go and have to say I'm very impressed. It wont (officially) run any graphicalapps which is a disadvantage, but for pure commandline based stuff I haven't yet found anything non graphical in my (admittedly basic) experience that I can't install and run on it. I love that I can now run BASH scripts "natively" on Windows!

Anyone else using it? I'm sure there are far more experienced people than me here. What are your experiences?

The lack of graphics is a little drawback as some software I might want to use (eg matplotlib in python) do require to draw graphics so I'll have to find a way around that (like a VM or anaconda Windows environment ut that also has a few packages that aren't available for windows)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Any users of the Windows 10 Linux subsystem here?

I've just started a Masters in Bioinformatics and as part of this I need to use lots of Linux based software (and also BASH commands etc). I have been playing with it for a while and tried using various virtualbox VM's but never been very satisfied with them.

I recently gave the subsystem a go and have to say I'm very impressed. It wont (officially) run any graphicalapps which is a disadvantage, but for pure commandline based stuff I haven't yet found anything non graphical in my (admittedly basic) experience that I can't install and run on it. I love that I can now run BASH scripts "natively" on Windows!

Anyone else using it? I'm sure there are far more experienced people than me here. What are your experiences?

The lack of graphics is a little drawback as some software I might want to use (eg matplotlib in python) do require to draw graphics so I'll have to find a way around that (like a VM or anaconda Windows environment ut that also has a few packages that aren't available for windows)
You should be able to run GUI Linux apps by enabling a X Server - How to run Linux desktop apps on Windows | ZDNet or [Bash on Windows] Getting dbus and X server working • r/Windows10

We use WSL for a bunch of Dev Projects....PHP, Node.js, etc...