What's new

Windows 10. Love it or hate it?

CrippsCorner

That's true I guess, although... the rendering is much better than Chrome in tablet mode, so I still use it as it's much easier on the eye.

Either Google or Microsoft needs to pull their finger out! Preferably, both :mad:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
:( Was trying to reset my Surface this morning and got the message "insert media device containing windows image|"..... ummmmm

Trying to get it to update properly now as it's been saying updates downloading for a couple of days after an update failed a while ago.

Shame I love my SP3 so much but now hating it as win 10 seems to be messed up. It started well and now has gone wrong. :(

Might try to roll back if it will let me do that.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phew think it's fixed. Ran sfc /scannow from the elevated command prompt and it found a couple of corrupt filed and replaced. Now I'm getting the keypad appear on the lock screen again.. Yay!!

knightron

I must admit I don't use it a lot in tablet mode compared to the desktop but there are little things that annoy which I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum...
  • Edge is frustrating to use due to no swiping to go forwards/backwards and the address bar being active
  • I haven't found a quick way to get rid of the Taskbar? Again, you're losing real estate of the screen
  • I used to love leaving the Tiles on the Start Screen to auto-update. This isn't possible any more
  • When docked, swiping in from the edge now opens options on the main monitor, not the tablet one
  • Intermittently flicks between desktop mode and tablet mode, obviously a bug but was fine on Windows 8
Had to edit to add one more which is driving me crazy. The fan runs almost all the time in Windows 10, making the Surface very hot to hold (not to mention noisy when laying in bed) within Windows 8 I hardly ever heard it... really just when running HD videos or converting media. This is the biggest disappointment out of everything for me :(

Hey cheers for the answer. Interesting to get another person's prospective. Have you used TouchMe Gesture Studio before. It's a cool app that's available in the app store. It allows many touch screen gestures configurable to keyboard shortcuts. I have two finger swipe configured to go back in web browsers. It's not as flashy Internet explorer's flip page, but it works pretty much the same.

CrippsCorner

Think I've heard of it but no haven't used it... maybe I'll have a look, thanks :)

Shame Microsoft won't bring out a Windows version of the Apple Trackpad, I love that thing! Would make so much sense seeing as though Windows is more touch related than OS X.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think I've heard of it but no haven't used it... maybe I'll have a look, thanks :)

Shame Microsoft won't bring out a Windows version of the Apple Trackpad, I love that thing! Would make so much sense seeing as though Windows is more touch related than OS X.

Does it have to be made by MS specifically? Anything wrong with something like the logitech T650? No doubt there will be a plethora of peripherals specifically designed to work with win 10 and Cortana etc.

knightron

I think he means on the Surface type cover. I own a Macbook Pro and 2010 model and i have to admit that it's perhaps the best trackpad i've ever used. I would certainly love to see something like that with the type cover if possible. At the least being able to disable 'tap to click' would be nice.
I don't really use trackpad gestures. On my main laptop i disabled the horrid trackpad in the bios and strictly use the trackpoint.

CrippsCorner

Yeah I read about alternatives but there's always some complaints. I know a lot of people here are anti-Apple but you can't deny their hardware is bullet proof; I bought the Trackpad for my girlfriends iMac and it's been faultless.

You can actually use the Trackpad on Windows but it loses many features.

lhauser

I'm loving it. So many of the UI issues people talk about just aren't there for me...perhaps I'm not picky enough? I'm pretty easygoing, and as long as it does what I need it to do, I see no reason to complain.

I refuse to use Edge until it gets extensions, and Chrome works just fine for me (always has). Yeah, it's a bit of a battery hog, but I just deal with it. I don't use the SP3 on battery for extended periods, but it seem that the last couple of updates have done something to improve battery life a bit.

kwright

I'm back on 8.1 with a SP3. Until they figure out that the One Drive interface in 8.1 and the people app on Windows phone are critical to users of hybrids I'm staying put.

kundas1

UNGH! I'm really starting to get annoyed with w10! too many problems and it's REALLY obvious they should have postponed the release as this is WAY to flaky and buggy! my IE is starting to crash, SP3 keeps telling me 10x a day that I plugged in headphones when I didn't (really annoying) battery goes down faster than a prostitute on a john, and now it keeps going on in my carry bag and heating up all the bloody time! it never ever ever did that with win8! I really wanted to like win10 but its too bad this is so buggy! I can see why the other people are changing back to win8... this is REALLY disappointing on MS part

kundas1

I'm back on 8.1 with a SP3. Until they figure out that the One Drive interface in 8.1 and the people app on Windows phone are critical to users of hybrids I'm staying put.

how painful was it going back? I might have to do the same...