What's new

Solved Windows 10 - missing icons in Start menu tiles

convergent

I have a week old SP4 with Windows 10 creators edition. Continuing to get it all setup and then yesterday when in tablet mode I noticed that most of my icons in the start menu tiles were blank. The tiles were still there, but no way to tell what application each was for. Today some are back and some are still missing.

I've seen a few disagreeing suggestions on how to resolve this in searches outside this forum, and thought I'd ask here for advice on how to best resolve this. Any ideas?

OP
convergent

convergent

One other tidbit of information is it seems that only applications installed outside of the App Store are now showing missing icons. Last night there were some of both.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good. Apps and corresponding tiles sometimes disappear while they are being updated in the background. And sometimes, processes do not complete until a reboot.

You may notice tiles winking out occasionally while they are being updated, especially Mail, Photos, Calendar.

OP
convergent

convergent

The strange thing was that first they were all messed up... then it was all the ones that did not load from the App Store... now all is good. Glad I didn't go off trying the many "solutions" I found via Google that probably would have hosed up things permanently!