What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0v1em4n

Well I've turned off SSD indexing, compacted SSD, set Battery to balanced and running Intel Drivers for video. So far rig is running close to silent.

Still can't get IE to launch though. Launches then immediate crash message. Ideas?

Funny how every person seems to have a unique thing that is broken on their rig.

What is it's default loading page, could it be that it don't like

Liam2349

How many people have gone back and forth between Win8.1 and 10 TP more than once? Anyone nuked their Windows.old folder and beyond a full re-install committed themselves to the point of no return?

Way I see it, best method for testing the preview is:

1. Create recovery USB on 8.1
2. Use File History to create a full system image
3. Upgrade to Win 10

Then when you have issues, rollback to 8.1, then use advanced boot to restore your full image of your 8.1 build - getting rid of broken apps, settings, e.t.c. and everything will be just as you left it.

Exactly what I did, because Win 10 just isn't ready for me yet.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I've turned off SSD indexing, compacted SSD, set Battery to balanced and running Intel Drivers for video. So far rig is running close to silent.

Still can't get IE to launch though. Launches then immediate crash message. Ideas?

Funny how every person seems to have a unique thing that is broken on their rig.

Indeed. I could understand the argument of a million different hardware configurations, but this is a bunch of people all using the same device, with some people having fun, many many others facing a plethora of issues.

Going to try and download an iso of 9879 and then turn off automatic updates (and definitely not install the 22nd jan hardware update!)

m0v1em4n

Hi,
There seems to be lot of different issues floating around for build 9926, and thought I would give you my experience.

Ok I got my SP3 a few weeks ago, for this update I started with windows 8.1 which was factory reset before I did anything, in the process of resetting it installed all the windows 8.1 update, I then run the upgrade exe on MS web site, and sat back while it installed, After the win 10 install my only major issue was IE crashing with some web page, ones with video seem to be the main culprit, but not only, installing some old video drives seem to solve the IE crashing, another issue I am experiencing is the " Do you want to enter tablet mode? " popping up very often, sometime for no reason, other than that my system seem to run ok other than the odd glitch. I have no wake up from sleep problem

mitchellvii

Indeed. I could understand the argument of a million different hardware configurations, but this is a bunch of people all using the same device, with some people having fun, many many others facing a plethora of issues.

Going to try and download an iso of 9879 and then turn off automatic updates (and definitely not install the 22nd jan hardware update!)

Well sadly you cannot individually hide updates with this build. So alpha.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well sadly you cannot individually hide updates with this build. So alpha.

No, but i could install the earlier build and turn off all updates and just stick with that, did the job just fine as it was, kicked 8.1s ass even without real tablet capability. Once i hear of the new build being stabilised a bit more, i can rethink updating,

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a plus side though, it might just be in my head, but i unplugged the thing at about 5pm and have been using it a heck of a lot since then, and im only 30 percent down. Battery life seems fantastic now!

mitchellvii

The obvious problem with having the taskbar remain on MUI apps is that you can't swipe up from the bottom to get custom controls. You have to click the burger icon on top left and choose them there. Not very intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.