What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0v1em4n

I mentioned in my previous post you can't use the Windows 7 tool as it formats the drive in NTFS, you need to have it formatted as FAT32 for it to be bootable on the SP3.

Hi, Didn't use win7 tool, I tried Rufus to bootable and I tried just dragging the files across both fail to do anything

mitchellvii

What has wacom got to do with the SP3 though?

@mitchellvii when you roll back, are you doing it from within windows (in the windows update page) or are you refereing to some other recovery thing? I just did a recovery from within windows and it just rolled back to 9879. Do you need a usb recovery disk?
If you have windows.old folder, there should be an option to roll back to the previous version from within Windows Recovery. I'm on 8.1 right now so can't remember exactly what it looks like. No recovery disk required.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Didn't use win7 tool, I tried Rufus to bootable and I tried just dragging the files across both fail to do anything
Use a Flash Drive formatted FAT32 at least 4GB, I used 8GB. Download the ISO and mount it.....then from an Elevated CMD Prompt run this command (Virtual Optical Drive = "F" and Flash Drive = "E" - substitute you actual drive letters into command):

xcopy f:\*.* /e/f/s e:

Let that copy all the contents of the ISO to the drive. Then from Recovery - Advanced Startup - Restart - Chose Boot from USB then install fresh.....

GTiceman

Hmm I am not familiar with that tool but the drive is Fat32? I would just use Windows, format FAT32 then double click the ISO and copy all the files onto the stick, W8.1 mounts the image so you can pull them all

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826 there is the January pack for you

m0v1em4n

Use a Flash Drive formatted FAT32 at least 4GB, I used 8GB. Download the ISO and mount it.....then from an Elevated CMD Prompt run this command (Virtual Optical Drive = "F" and Flash Drive = "E" - substitute you actual drive letters into command):

xcopy f:\*.* /e/f/s e:

Let that copy all the contents of the ISO to the drive. Then from Recovery - Advanced Startup - Restart - Chose Boot from USB then install fresh.....
Thanks, that work but it stated that a drive is missing, presume it need the driver for the SSD drive, anyone know I might get this from

GTiceman

I did a second wipe of mine because of the crashing

going to possibly install office and then that is it. Not sure what is causing my crash issues.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks , but still need a driver, the hard drive is not showing up so presume that's what the driver are for,
It shouldn't need a driver for the SSD as it is a SATA Interface, you can download the SP3 Firmware Update files from January and add the driver....

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

The Driver would be found in this path:

\Surface Pro 3 - January 2015\Surface Pro 3 - January 2015\Intel\SATA_AHCI\9.4.0.1023\

wynand32

By the way, if anyone's having the issue where the SP3 seems to hang when coming out of sleep and needs to be forcibly shut down, try this first. I was having the issue, and then during one episode accidentally unplugged the SP3. Lo and behold, the screen popped on like usual and I could login. Then, it happened when on battery, so I plugged in, unplugged, and again it woke up.

It's worked for me pretty uniformly...

GTiceman

So on my newest refresh I have installed Office and system seems okay. Might install Store apps next.

Are people still preferring Firefox to Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.