What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I asked this before but haven't updated to the newest build yesterday and now I can't get it work again.

I want to pin web pages to the start menu so I can go straight to a specific site from the start menu, I've tried to drag the little icon to the start menu and it doesn't work anymore !

Why not just tell internet explorer to make the site an app and then from the start menu app list just right click it and chose pin to start. Working fine over here.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Some screenshots of Windows 10 for those browsing by...

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (16).png

rege0039

Why not just tell internet explorer to make the site an app and then from the start menu app list just right click it and chose pin to start. Working fine over here.

Tried that, says the file doesn't have a program associated with it and then says site can't be added to the start menu.

Didn't even know you could do that, but it doesn't seem to work (yet ?) anyway, unless I am doing something wrong.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tried that, says the file doesn't have a program associated with it and then says site can't be added to the start menu.

Didn't even know you could do that, but it doesn't seem to work (yet ?) anyway, unless I am doing something wrong.

Peculiar. When I first booted into the new build I was able to do this for my uni portal page, but now I get that same error. Only thing I changed was doing the hardware update.

That aside though, yes, when it works, it's an easy way to get apps on the start screen. For now though I've given up on the idea of customizing it with tiles as it seems that other than mui apps, it dinars itself after every update. Might as well just use the search function like we have always done in the past. Much less hassle. Although to be fair, I've never really seen the point in tiles, so much easier just to type the first few letters and hit enter. Guess tiles are designed for touch, because when I have a keyboard attached they don't make any sense in terms of efficiency of use.

Just checked, and despite the error, it adds the page to your apps, but clicking it does nothing.

Edit. What you can do as a slightly annoying method, is add the sites you want as apps, and then if you right click on it and click open file location, it will open a folder containing all these sites, which do open when double clicked. So then just add that containing folder to the start menu. Not ideal but a workaround for the moment

Last edited:

m0v1em4n

Same thing happened to me went in a redid the association, even though is was already done

RémiM

Question: is it safe to delete the "Previous Windows Installations" in Cleanup System Files ? What is it supposed to do ? It's only for a roll back in case something is screwed in the current build ?

I can free more than 15GB of space....

bluegrass

Same thing happened to me went in a redid the association, even though is was already done

I got the same error message but it added them anyway to the Start Menu list. The only problem is that when I select one of them, the desktop appears but the program or link doesn't start.

SteveMac

After the upgrade my Surface Arc mouse wasn't scrolling properly, found that removing it from bluetooth devices and re-pairing it fixed the issue.

I'm getting more general fan noise so far, nothing major, however where the fan wasn't running at all previously, it is now (with all apps shutdown). Hey, it's a preview after all.

General stability appears better, no more annoying "enter tablet mode" pop-ups, also glad they fixed the join WIFI to occur within the shell, rather than opening up control center.

RémiM

The prior Windows installation comes in handy if you want to roll back.

What could be the reason to roll back ? Is it frequent to have to roll back (I know, you're a special case and you rolled back a lot with the previous build :D) ?

Because 15Gigz is a lot of room !

mitchellvii

What could be the reason to roll back ? Is it frequent to have to roll back (I know, you're a special case and you rolled back a lot with the previous build :D) ?

Because 15Gigz is a lot of room !

Well this build seems pretty stable. I doubt you'll need to roll back.

Status
Not open for further replies.