What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just poking around in Device Manager and noticed a few new HW sensor types and driver updates (TPM V2.0 driver version is now 10.0.10041.0). Looks like the underpinnings for Windows Hello are in there, although the driver date for the TPM driver is suspect.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I will say this is the first build of Windows 10 that allows me to use the SP3 as intended, I can easily switch between modes and orientations without issue, it enters CS and resumes without locking up. I like the new OSK and they brought back a version of the floating tip for pen input.

This with Office 2016 does a good job of pointing to what the future holds. The MWDA desperately needs a Firmware Update to improve performance, I experienced a high level of tearing and pixilation using it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "Hold the Windows key then press the Power button, or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete " lock screen shows up occasionally (if the keyboard is attached). Looks like a bug left over from a bad idea.

Do a hard power restart.

I've been getting it for the first time today, keyboard or no keyboard. No issues with using the windows key and then power button to unlock though. As you say it seems to be either an old concept that accidentally crept in, or an incorrectly implemented feature. Makes no sense to have an unlock sequence if that then just unlocks it so you can unlock it again. And especially if you unlock it, but then have to enter your password.

Todays other issue is that if i right click and close an app, say just the settings window, then IE is greyed out and until i click on it it remains greyed out, and then takes a couple of seconds to "reactivate" and become bright again. also effects word, so assume other (desktop) applications as well

Last edited:

mitchellvii

I'm getting some leafblower and heat occasionally for no apparent reason. Much better than before though. Also video driver performance seems to get bogged down at times.

bluegrass

I'm getting some leafblower and heat occasionally for no apparent reason. Much better than before though. Also video driver performance seems to get bogged down at times.

I'd try and not outthink what the computer has to do. They have their own priorities and don't always make sense to us humans.

Jay Parisi

So far, so good! The Mail/people app fixed on the first try, the hardware update from 1/27 is finally gone!
Now, I'm installing Office 2016.... I'm a sucker for punishment.

mitchellvii

Things I'd like to see on the Start Menu:

1) Better looking graphics on the tiles. I mean, c'mon, a circa 1995 FaceID icon in the middle of a tile? That's all MS has got? If MS won't step up to the design plate, how about allowing Android-style icon packs?
2) A Windows Mobile style animation after selecting an icon. Right now the cool factor on the Start Menu is exactly zero. How about a choice of animations like Android has?
3) A selection of Tile Grouping Templates that will automatically categorize and arrange icons into groups for us.
4) Let me edit the Tile Label. I mean, c'mon.
5) Allow me to turn off the animated Tiles.
6) This is a BIG one. Allow JUMP LISTS on Start Menu Tiles just like on the Taskbar.
7) Make the small Start Menu the same transparency as the large one (i.e., more transparent).
8) Allow custom backgrounds for the Start Menu or a different color than the Windows.

Jay Parisi

Office 2016 installed. Was really hoping that continuum would extend to switch office apps from touch mode to desktop mode but so far it seems like it doesn't.

B

B'midbar

Aaaand suddenly... after the 10041 update yesterday and a couple of reboots since, my SP3 is now telling me it wants to reboot at 3:00 a.m. this evening for the 01/27 hardware update. Awesome.

RémiM

@B'midbar I have kind of the same problem.

I had to install this stupid 01/27 update maybe 50 times under 9926.

The two first days under 10041, the update was gone, and I was very happy. However, sice this morning, it's back.

I don't have any scheduled reboot, but this error instead:

• System Hardware Update - ‎2015-‎01-‎27 - Error 0x80200068

Status
Not open for further replies.