What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I stand corrected. Were they available to the wider public of just MSDN subscribers etc?
The Beta Program was more limited, Milestone Releases were widely released and MSDN had access to specific builds. But this is the largest program to date. It used to be:

ALPHA Builds - Windows Internal and Select Microsoft Employees with limited Partner (OEM Driver teams mostly)

BETA 1 - Closed Beta by nomination

BETA 2 - Wider and some Public Builds

Release Candidates - Public Availability

m0v1em4n

Another strange thing happened when I booted up this afternoon, There was an Home group icon on my desktop, not sure where it came from and I sure could not delete it.
The plot thickens

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the explanation. As a mere plebian, i was only ever aware of the release candidates for vista and 7. Back then i was more concerned in running cat5 cables throughout the boarding house so we could play counter strike and freelancer than i was about beta builds and such.

Speaking of a desktop icon @m0v1em4n i may have missed it but did everyone else get a bunch of Korean folders on their desktop?

malberttoo

isn't this the first time that they've done such a public beta release process? I'm sure that in the past al this kind of stuff happened for every OS they were building, only this time we get to enjoy it before an RTM version etc.

At the end of the day, the way i see it is that they now have more time to focus on "things" due to an army of the public reporting all the smaller bugs and such that they'd rather not have to spend their time searching for. It's a tech preview, it's rather a given that things are going to go wrong or get broken, that's all in the nature of creating software. We are just an extension of their de-bugging process :)

All in all, it's a free OS that for the most part works. I can't complain. Does what i need to do without having to resort to ubuntu.

A reasoned response. There should be no "expectation" at this point that there aren't going to yet be big issues.

Thanks for the explanation. As a mere plebian, i was only ever aware of the release candidates for vista and 7. Back then i was more concerned in running cat5 cables throughout the boarding house so we could play counter strike and freelancer than i was about beta builds and such.

Speaking of a desktop icon @m0v1em4n i may have missed it but did everyone else get a bunch of Korean folders on their desktop?

I believe that it was something like the "Browser choice" but now for media players (for the Korean market only). In any case, it went directly to the Wastebasket.

mitchellvii

Stardock is out with their W10 Start Button. Haven't tried it yet.

# Just tried it. Meh. Unless you are anxious to have a W7 Start Button in W10 not necessary. was hoping they would add some cool functionality to the W10 Start Menu but apparently not.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
10051 Is an OEM Build, so it will most likely have some Driver Symbol Code and some additional OOBE bits...

It will also break the Flighting of the Insider Builds, just a word of caution.... :)

hannytyo

hi... not sure whether it is already been asked and answered... cannot find it anyway...

so if we install this W10 TP in our SP3, will we get the 'genuine' W10 later if it is officially launched later?
Somehow I cannot go back again to W8.1 since I installed this 10041 build.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
hi... not sure whether it is already been asked and answered... cannot find it anyway...

so if we install this W10 TP in our SP3, will we get the 'genuine' W10 later if it is officially launched later?
Somehow I cannot go back again to W8.1 since I installed this 10041 build.
Yes... free upgrade to all Windows 7 and 8.1 users within the first 12 months for personal use, does not apply to Business, Non-Profits, Educational and Government Licensing.

hannytyo

thanks Jeff...

BTW, I found this FAQ below, seems like if we upgrade from Win10 TP, we will get the non-genuine license of Win 10, but probably it doesn't matter because of this 12 months free upgrade. Otherwise we need to go back first to our original SP3 Win8.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will I be able to upgrade from the Windows 10 Technical Preview to the final release?
There is has been some debate regarding qualification for the final release of Windows 10.
Microsoft has noted the intention is to provide a direct upgrade path from the Preview to the final release. Of course, decisions can change. Recently, the company noted that you could upgrade non genuine licenses to Windows 10, but later it was found out, that license would be non genuine.
So, to be on the safe side, its best you ensure you have a valid genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license installed in order to qualify for the final release.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.