What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiceman

thanks Jeff...

BTW, I found this FAQ below, seems like if we upgrade from Win10 TP, we will get the non-genuine license of Win 10, but probably it doesn't matter because of this 12 months free upgrade. Otherwise we need to go back first to our original SP3 Win8.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will I be able to upgrade from the Windows 10 Technical Preview to the final release?
There is has been some debate regarding qualification for the final release of Windows 10.
Microsoft has noted the intention is to provide a direct upgrade path from the Preview to the final release. Of course, decisions can change. Recently, the company noted that you could upgrade non genuine licenses to Windows 10, but later it was found out, that license would be non genuine.
So, to be on the safe side, its best you ensure you have a valid genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license installed in order to qualify for the final release.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is referring to non-genuine editions of Windows 7 and 8. The Windows 10 license you have in the insider program is considered a "genuine license"

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
thanks Jeff...

BTW, I found this FAQ below, seems like if we upgrade from Win10 TP, we will get the non-genuine license of Win 10, but probably it doesn't matter because of this 12 months free upgrade. Otherwise we need to go back first to our original SP3 Win8.1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will I be able to upgrade from the Windows 10 Technical Preview to the final release?
There is has been some debate regarding qualification for the final release of Windows 10.
Microsoft has noted the intention is to provide a direct upgrade path from the Preview to the final release. Of course, decisions can change. Recently, the company noted that you could upgrade non genuine licenses to Windows 10, but later it was found out, that license would be non genuine.
So, to be on the safe side, its best you ensure you have a valid genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license installed in order to qualify for the final release.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As long as your Windows License for 7 or 8.x is genuine your upgrade will be as well. What you are quoting is for Pirated Software....

hannytyo

Jeff, GTIceman,

I know... what's not genuine on my SP3?? :) I don't talk about pirated OS but more on upgrade path from Technical Preview to Commercial/Final version.

The question is, since I only have W10TP installed, will I get genuine commercial W10 later through direct upgrade from W10TP?

Or...

Do I need to go back first to my SP3 Win8.1 (of course it's genuine) using recovery option, to get the genuine W10?

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You do not need to go back. If you continue using genuine (not leaked) Windows 10 Technical Preview, then you are on the proper path to the final version.

Screenshot (6).png

GTiceman

Jeff, GTIceman,

I know... what's not genuine on my SP3?? :) I don't talk about pirated OS but more on upgrade path from Technical Preview to Commercial/Final version.

The question is, since I only have W10TP installed, will I get genuine commercial W10 later through direct upgrade from W10TP?

Or...

Do I need to go back first to my SP3 Win8.1 (of course it's genuine) using recovery option, to get the genuine W10?

Right, but the release you are using now is "official" and also your SP3 has your original W8.1 key locked into the BIOS. When W10 comes out, you should be able to go straight in with an official license as it seems to stand now. But we all know it is MS and something could change. You could need to wipe and install clean, in which case there is a tool that can access your W8.1 key from the BIOS if needed.

Telstar1948

This not from a Win 10 user asking those who are - how is this shaping up? I've grown accustomed to 8.1, but I keep hearing that 10 will be more like 7 in various respects with less emphasis on the MUI side. At this point I expect that 10 probably isn't far enough along to determine exactly where it will drop, but what are your opinions so far? As it is now, I use 8.1 as a mix - desktop and MUI with the keyboard attached. I seldom use my SP3 just in tablet mode, but I use MUI often. Perhaps some of you 10 users can see where I'm heading with my question - does it appear MS is truly heading back to a more 7 experience overall? I realize 8.1 is somewhat schizophrenic (multiple apps/programs for the same job etc), so what are your feelings about 10?

GoodBytes

This not from a Win 10 user asking those who are - how is this shaping up? I've grown accustomed to 8.1, but I keep hearing that 10 will be more like 7 in various respects with less emphasis on the MUI side. At this point I expect that 10 probably isn't far enough along to determine exactly where it will drop, but what are your opinions so far? As it is now, I use 8.1 as a mix - desktop and MUI with the keyboard attached. I seldom use my SP3 just in tablet mode, but I use MUI often. Perhaps some of you 10 users can see where I'm heading with my question - does it appear MS is truly heading back to a more 7 experience overall? I realize 8.1 is somewhat schizophrenic (multiple apps/programs for the same job etc), so what are your feelings about 10?

Windows 10 has a lot of work to be done, but it is shaping up to be pretty good.

bluegrass

Did your Canon printer work on 8.1? I thought that all peripheral drivers for W8.1 are suppose to eventually be compatible with W10.

Status
Not open for further replies.