What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0v1em4n

I think as soon as they put Spartan in the mix it all went wrong, certainly for me, I have gone on to the slow ring, couldn't do with the stress and I am only browsing :D would hate to think how it would be if I was using it for anything technical

mitchellvii

I would have hoped at this point MS would be fine tuning this thing. It seems they are still trying to get a handle on the basics. I think the problem may be that the longer they work on it, the more Windows 10 becomes Windows 7 2015 with a shinier interface and a hat tip to Windows 8. Maybe that's because Windows 7 was pretty great in so many ways before they broke it in Windows 8. There is SO much more functionality they could be adding to the Start Menu (THE most visible, consumer-facing feature) but don't perhaps out of a bit of angst over the fact they thought "no one actually used the Start Button on Windows 7," which was something they actually said out loud at one point.

I see corporate egos all over this.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see what you mean. Under IE it has all the child processes but it doesn't give the memory usage for each. It just increases the amount for the parent for each child process. Under Spartan it shows the parent at the top with the name of Project Spartan and way below that are the child processes labeled Spartan.

I just don't understand what Hughlle was talking about. I opened up 5 tabs under both IE and Spartan and they totaled close to the same amount of memory. I don't see Spartan as any more hog of resources than IE. Mine definitely didn't use 150 meg for each tab. I think I'm going to like Spartan and it will replace IE for me, even now.

I may not be accurate in the way i describe it or my terminology etc, but with Spartan open, every time i create a new tab it creates a new Spartan background process. the number of Spartan processes in task manager always seems to reflect the number of tabs i have open. For instance i just opened a new tab and just did a search for BBC, and a new process appeared showing it was using 70mb of memory. Whether this reflects tabs or not, still the same point, to me that's a hell of a lot of resources for doing absolutely nothing.

RémiM

Biggest problem with Windows 8, beyond people's initial ire with Metro, was not providing a seamless, clean, transparent (or at least not obvious) transition back and forth between touch and desktop apps. That being said, in desktop mode 8 is a solid OS and does file I/O substantially better than 7. I think a lot of 8's heartburn could have been mitigated had Microsquish built up a better ecosystem for touch apps, that still hasn't changed for 10 TP. Windows 10' focus seems to be more about the transition between multiple devices. Beyond Cortana and Spartan - both highly incomplete at this time - I really don't know what it buys for desktops.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Sadly I cannot revert from 10049 since i used the Cleanup tool to rwmove the windows.old and other unused files. 10049 is so bugridden that I have to reboot almost after every session. I know that its a preview, but this is ridicolous.

GoodBytes

A new release of Win10 should be released at Microsoft BUILD event. That is April 29th. So if you can wait, it might be worth waiting, then downloading 10049, clean install it, and re-download another 2-3GB download for the new build in a few weeks.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with sharpcolorado. It might not be perfect but my experience is a far sight better than what you describe. Only time i have to reboot is when touch starts registering all touches as right clicks.

GoodBytes

Not worth it, I say. Despite the excitement of jumping on a new build, Microsoft is expected (nothing official) to release a new build of Windows 10 after Microsoft BUILD event on April 29. So just in a few days... well about 2 weeks.

mitchellvii

The thing that surprises me in all of these new builds is that MS doesn't seem to be improving the Start Button, the most forward facing feature. In my prior experience, this doesn't mean MS is holding back for some amazing reveal, it means that they actually think they are basically DONE (with a few minor tweaks to come) on that feature.

I remember when the early betas on Office 365 came out and reviewers were complaining about the terrible new font-smoothing algorithm. Everyone said, don't worry, they'll fix it before the final release. Guess what, they didn't fix it.

I'm afraid that when the final build of W10 is released there will be a lot of, "it could have been great, but...," commentary.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is a fallacy in thought about this Preview Program amongst many participants, this is not a linearly program, the new approach by Microsoft is to use a "Fail Forward Fast", we are seeing parts of the development process not publically seen in previous betas, were they are experimenting with UI and interaction, which changes from build to build. The leaked Builds will have more experimental tweaks....

Status
Not open for further replies.