Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Maybe this is just a rare issue resulting from doing updates and not clean installs, little things falling through the cracks during the update process.

Regarding the Cortana icon, it is unlikely that this is just falling through the cracks, @hughlle . Below is a screen shot I just now took of my MacBook Pro Retina 15 under the same Build, installed directly, not from updates.

By the way, Windows 10 works very well with my MacBook (via Parallels 10). And if I change the desktop background on my Surface Pro 3, the MacBook changes within 30 seconds or so. And vice versa.

MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 3.13.46 PM.png

spinachpie

I can't wait to see how streaming from Xbox One to SP3 will be once Windows 10 is released. When the main TV is taken, I need a good option for playing games and this will suit perfectly.

r0b123

Did you click the Search box or search icon? I had to do initial setup on mine before I saw the Cortana / circle icon.

SteveMac

Actually I suspect this is because Cortana isn't available in my region (Australia, we do talk a bit funny), the icon likely has context.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try re-setting up Cortana with Settings, System, Cortana & Search. Reboot your computer, then see if you can choose the hoop icon.

SteveMac

Question for anyone else using a Surface Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse, if you associate middle tap with left menu (reference screen shot), I would expect that it would bring up the new task view (as the left hand swipe in gesture does), however for me it doesn't do anything. All of the other options do work. Anyone else?

2015-04-22_13-56-46.png

Stephan

Windows 10 is essentially done. There will be MAYBE a few features here and there, at best, but core part of what they wanted to implement has been implemented. Now it is just polishing, and finishing off apps, and gui.
Windows 10.1 is already schedules for end 2016, so they will most likely add features that didn't make the cut yet.

Windows 10 on phones is getting many updates as this is the big focus now as it was not touched only after a while after Windows 10 started.

Windows 10 is far from done ! It is still very buggy, and not functionnal.
I don't see how they can release it on the end of July.
There is so much more to do !
W10 has to be perfect for his launch, otherwise Microsoft is over. Windows 8 was a disaster. W10 has to be a success.
And I fear it won't...

mitchellvii

As far as the GUI being lacking (such as the so far less than pathetic Start Menu), it's not as if MS doesn't have the tools to make this balls-out amazing. I believe that what we are seeing (or not seeing as the case may be) is a Management decision to NOT make the Start Menu awesome. MS has politics like any other large organization and I promise you there are powerful voices who are still butt-hurt over the idea we are going back to the Start Button concept at all, and they'll be damned if they are going to make it fantastic so the whole world can say, "See, Windows 8 was dumb, THIS is how you should have done it from the beginning!"

I'll be amazed if the Start Menu in W10 is dramatically improved from it's current lame state in the final release. This will make two groups of people happy - the Management idiots at MS and the owners of Stardock.

** P.S., Yes, I am taunting MS on this. I DARE them to prove me wrong. They don't have the stones.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The tiles idea of Windows 8 was well conceived and prevails. That, with a Start button revival and Continuum, will rate a 10.

mitchellvii

The tiles idea of Windows 8 was well conceived and prevails. That, with a Start button revival and Continuum, will rate a 10.

Windows 8 tiles was well received? By whom? I would not say it prevails so much as it remains. Rather than a Start Button revival I would call call the W10 iteration a grudging hat tip to something MS doesn't really want to do.

We'll see. I think W10 will be judged an improvement over W8 but still a missed opportunity.

bluegrass

Microsoft has lost interest in desktops and tablets and is only concerned about trying to take over the phone market.

They rolled out update #56 weeks ago to Windows phones but NOT to tablets or desktops.

Everything goes to phones first and, if they get around to it, tablets and desktops.

I don't really want to do the preview on my Windows Phone. My phone is too important to have it get broken by an update.

I think the reason updates and changes our Surfaces are because W10 for the phone is a lot less complex than for desktops, laptops, & tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.