What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicPoop

I have my CS turned off, and everything works fine for me. The only thing is that on coming back from sleep takes about 3-5 seconds...

which would probably be hibernating not sleep I guess... but well, it works for me!

EMINENT

Updates are failing for me.

After it prompts to restart. It starts and goes until 67% and then says unable to apply update and going back or something. I've tried it 3 times now.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sleeping in win 10 right now just isn't fully done. Some of the phone home and debug code is wrecking it. Better to hibernate or power off for now. I suspect there are some cappy beta drivers also not allowing proper sleep. I turn it back on to test every new build but doubt that it will change much until release.

mine doesnt sleep at all while plugged into an (old) external display. when i click sleep, it just goes to sleep then the tv instantly wakes back up showing the login picture.

Like @EMINENT, the update of KB3070677 is failing and falling back for me. It happens continuously with every run of WU or every reboot. I'm working with Microsoft and just sent them the update logs. The other 3 KB's did say waiting for the reboot, but in fact did install correctly.

Kris

Battery life reports range from 3-7:30 hours in this thread. At last count there are 5 of us running Win10 CP (and Technical Preview previously) as our daily driver. Most of us are probably on the fast ring. Some of us do our build upgrades in place (I do), some prefer to wipe and install clean every build.
Use Windows 10 as my daily driver for both my Desktop HTPC and my SP3, probably get 4-5 hours battery life off of my SP3 unless I am streaming HD video to it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the fan is back to it's tricks. System, system interupts, and service host local system comsuming 60% of cpu between them.

mitchellvii

Well the fan is back to it's tricks. System, system interupts, and service host local system comsuming 60% of cpu between them.

I noticed this last night. After 2 days on 10135 and Avast running nearly silent, the fan last night decided to go nuts and the back got very hot.

I give up trying to figure this out. It's does seem that the fan circus tends to begin after using the computer in tablet mode. Dunno.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I noticed this last night. After 2 days on 10135 and Avast running nearly silent, the fan last night decided to go nuts and the back got very hot.

I give up trying to figure this out. It's does seem that the fan circus tends to begin after using the computer in tablet mode. Dunno.

Mine has been "docked" for the past month and a half. Mine only started spinning up again (constantly) following a streaming stint on chrome. I have no evidence to suggest it is because of chrome, but it ran fine, i used chrome to stream, noticed that while a video was paused, fan had kicked in, and it's not stopped since. I've nothing installed so may just do a refresh and not install chrome and see if anything changes. If i can be bothered that is.

ScottyS

My last batch of updates seemed to install without it hanging (followed @sharpcolorado advice and changed default browser from Spartan to IE) but in Update History they all show they still need a restart to install, and yes... the fan is back to blowing like a leaf blower.

Another thing I've noticed. Doing a Restart or shutdown takes a very long time to shut down.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My last batch of updates seemed to install without it hanging (followed @sharpcolorado advice and changed default browser from Spartan to IE) but in Update History they all show they still need a restart to install, and yes... the fan is back to blowing like a leaf blower.

Another thing I've noticed. Doing a Restart or shutdown takes a very long time to shut down.

I noticed the restart thing last night (something broke on the system, can't recall what) and was at the piont of getting up and doing a hard shhut down. After the screen turned off, it then took a long time to start up, and after passing the surface logo, my moniter just went blank, had to do a hard restart about 3 times and unplug the external display before i could coax it back to the login screen.

mitchellvii

Mine has been "docked" for the past month and a half. Mine only started spinning up again (constantly) following a streaming stint on chrome. I have no evidence to suggest it is because of chrome, but it ran fine, i used chrome to stream, noticed that while a video was paused, fan had kicked in, and it's not stopped since. I've nothing installed so may just do a refresh and not install chrome and see if anything changes. If i can be bothered that is.

Recommend installing latest Chrome Beta and in options tell it to turn off all Chrome background processes when browser is closed (towards the bottom of advanced options).

Status
Not open for further replies.