What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

10135 has no updates offered and runs VERY smoothly for me. Maybe those struggling with updates should try that instead? Only downside is I had to do full wipe to get 10135 to install.

ScottyS

It seems these latest builds have had more strange bugs and quirks; I had Win10 running well on earlier builds but have had to go back to using Win8.1 as my daily driver.

I hope MS knows what they're doing. I mean I hope they know about all these seemingly different kinds of problems (Explorer crashing on shutdown, fan blowing, my Spartan windows disappear after a few minutes, cursor sometimes moves like it's sticky, takes forever to shut down, battery life and much more) and are planning to put in the fixes soon because if they are planning to roll out the Win10 update to EVERYONE running win7 and win8 as an update on July 29th . . .

Think of what a PR disaster it would be if after enticing millions of users who had win7 and 8 running well to take a free automatic upgrade to win10 and it trashes their systems.

cliffr39

...Another thing I've noticed. Doing a Restart or shutdown takes a very long time to shut down.

I noticed the restart thing last night (something broke on the system, can't recall what) and was at the piont of getting up and doing a hard shhut down. After the screen turned off, it then took a long time to start up, and after passing the surface logo, my moniter just went blank, had to do a hard restart about 3 times and unplug the external display before i could coax it back to the login screen.

Yep, that issue started for me with the update KB3058515. Hopefully they resolve that soon. I did a Windows Feedback for that.

ScottyS

I think I found an answer for so slow a shutdown and restart (from @Daimon at On/Off function in SP3).
I don't know if Win10 is supporting Fast Boot. I've been using shortcuts to shut down (C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0 or C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /p ) in Win8 too. When I shut down or restart in Win8 using the Power button on Start Menu it shuts down or restarts fast.

VickiFL

My Google mail app just stopped working after I received some updates. I really hope the next set of updates fixes that.

Compusmurf

Can anyone explain to me why I lose 10GB in a day with the following chronology?
  1. Full image backup of current build, upgrade to a new build.
  2. After reboot, run diskcleaner, nuke Windows.old, delete installation files. This is usually about 15GB.
  3. Do some more updates after a build update, reboot.
10GB available disk space decrement after reboot. Searching across hard drive, including hidden files, don't know why it does this after every build and subsequent updates? Getting pretty low on my SP3's 256GB SSD even after regularly disk cleaning.
Volume shadow copies. I believe that it is on by default. Also restore points. Both are a good thing. But it eats drive space.

EMINENT

I did a clean install with the 10130 iso and the updates finally took.

Still really buggy. Tiles and start screen are still buggy, sometimes not allowing to move, sometimes I get the hang where the tile remains when going to desktop and the background goes away. Cortana isn't taking reminders/unresponsive. etc. Spartan crashing randomly.

Ready for a new, better build. Can't wait till those bugs are squashed.

Kris

I have had enough of 10135 going back 10074 until new update is released... Will miss the new features but will love gaining the lost ones back. 10074 has been extremely solid on my HTPC desktop.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Suddenly noticed these three symptoms with Build 10130:
- Store crashes
- Windows Update continues searching for updates
- Could not "Hey, Cortana"

So I checked my Account information, and found that I needed to Verify my identity on the Surface Pro 3. Strange, but...
After clicking "Verify", I was sent to the verification step that includes sending a code to my smartphone.
After entering the code, the Surface Pro 3 went back to Windows Update, and downloaded several updates, some of which I thought I already had. Also included was the 5/12/2015 hardware update, and the June Cumulative Security update.
A restart came next.
Now Cortana is working again, the Store is syncing with my apps, and Windows Update shows that I am caught up.
(Note - I turned Cortana off, then immediately back on, to bring her back to life. No settings were lost.)

Even the Store updated itself.

Screenshot (57).png

Screenshot (55).png

mitchellvii

The greatest mystery in these builds is how they can work beautifully for days, then suddenly go straight to complete crap for no apparent reason. For days 10135 was practically flawless for me. And today:

1) Fan blowing full blast for no reason.
2) Back blazing hot.
3) Chrome Beta a lagfest.
4) External monitor not working.

Honestly, what happens were this OS suddenly "breaks"? No updates, no nothing. It just "breaks". Truly bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.