What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Computer asked me to restart to update to new preview build. Went through install then got a failure notice that some components failed to install then rolled me back to prior version. No idea the problem here.

mitchellvii

Yep tried again. Simply won't install. Gets 99% done then throws me error dialog saying certain Windows components failed to install and rolls me back to prior version.

Nummer35

Also updated sucessfull to the new build. However, i had to reinstall OneDrive and also the rotation-bug also consists... everything else seems fine so far.

mitchellvii

Think I may have figured the problem. Seems new build needs 20 gb of free space as some sort of buffer for installing new drivers. I was short. Deleting some stuff trying again.

rege0039

My attempt to update was a disaster !

On dual boot 8.1/Windows 10 before on i5/4/128

Booted in to Windows 10, download new preview build. Had 8.5 Gb free.

Restarted multiple times.

Then got message 'Windows was unable to complete the installation. Restart the computer to restart the installation'.

Lost dual boot menu entirely so just kept coming back to same message.

Eventually (After 45 panic filled minute) go in to advanced restart options after restarting in dock and hitting shift-f8.

Got advanced repair menu with advanced option to boot from another o/s.

Choose 8.1 (Technical Preview wasn't there, odd option called 'menu' was !)

Went in to advanced options and set the default boot to windows 8.1.

All started again !

Not sure what to do now, tempted to nuke the Windows 10 partition and start all over again.

However;

1) How do I clean up the boot options to remove the 'menu' option.
2) Anyone think of a way to get back in to Windows 10 and re-start the installation ?

I think I probably didn't have enough free disc space and that's what caused the problem but any insights/comments gladly received !

I would like to be able to keep on trying Windows 10, especially if one note with Pen etc are all working now.

mitchellvii

Tried 3rd time after making sure I had 60 gb free. Same fail so I guess the space issue wasn't it.

I see some others around the Web also reporting this.

Is pen working in this new build?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Le Pen:
Pen purple button to launch OneNote/screenshot works fine now.
Pen for writing only connects for a few seconds. Apparently not yet part of the Technical Preview.

Sorry you are having problems installing the new build/updates, mitchellviii.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Im not getting the flyout menu for the network.

Try clicking the WiFi or Ethernet icon in the taskbar, then going through the menus. Does that help?

I like being able to "forget" networks using the flyout.

Screenshot (165).png

mitchellvii

Le Pen:
Pen purple button to launch OneNote/screenshot works fine now.
Pen for writing only connects for a few seconds. Apparently not yet part of the Technical Preview.

Sorry you are having problems installing the new build/updates, mitchellviii.

I'm a bit confused. You are saying the pen no longer works under the latest preview? Worked fine under last. Since this is the last preview this year, I'm thinking I'm glad I missed it if that's the case.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All aspects of the Pen are working for me, I had a conference call to my team in India last night and took ink notes. The Double Click Screen Shot works (different but still works) and Single Click to launch OneNote Works.

I am having problems with OneNote though....

Status
Not open for further replies.