What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been running this since day one on both my Surface Pro 2 and my Dell Inspiron 3147, and as contrary to fanboi opinion as it might be, I'm just not real impressed that this version is any kind of groundbreaking improvement for a touchscreen device. Sure, for a mouse and keyboard user...maybe it's a godsend, but if you've got a real touch-capable device...sorry, I'm just not feeling it. By the way, this latest build broke the autorotation on the Dell, so later this weekend I'm gonna have to troubleshoot that. I think it's some kind of issue with the STMicro gyroscope driver right now...
I think we'll see the touch centric functionality coming in the Consumer Preview. But I agree, I find the MUI Experience less than optimal with a desktop centric world view and man do I miss MUI IE.

bmack

Tell us more. Necessary for others? How to do?
1.Right click desktop
2.Select screen resolution
3.Advance Settings
4.Adapter tab - Properties
5.Driver tab - Uninstall (note. checkbox delete installed drivers)
6.Restart Windows with internet connection and it will install the drivers

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
1.Right click desktop
3.Advance Settings

bmack,

I took your advice and did this, too.
Even though my driver before and after showed "Intel 5000", my display colors and crispness are much better.
You are a champ.
Thanks.

For others, here are the graphics dialogs:

Screenshot (178).png

Screenshot (174).png

Screenshot (175).png

Screenshot (176).png

Screenshot (177).png

r0b123

Looks like there is a way to take a glimpse of Continuum. Anyone try this yet? Left my SP3 at work and will try to do this if I can remember to pick it up.

http://microsoft-news.com/registry-...a-glimpse-of-continium-feature-in-windows-10/

• Launch the Registry Editor (hit the Windows key and R, type regedit, and then press Enter) and then navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Launcher
  • Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience.
  • Double-click the newly create item and set the value to 1.
  • Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer — or just restart Explorer

Article above warns the following, so be mindful if you proceed to do this: "Enabling this registry hack may corrupt your Start experience. So, don’t try this on your everyday machines."

hardhit

1.Right click desktop
3.Advance Settings

Tried this procedure but I don't get the control panel. below are the details of the driver that gets installed after restarting.
15-11-2014 13-58-11.png

bmack

Looks like there is a way to take a glimpse of Continuum. Anyone try this yet? Left my SP3 at work and will try to do this if I can remember to pick it up.

http://microsoft-news.com/registry-...a-glimpse-of-continium-feature-in-windows-10/

• Launch the Registry Editor (hit the Windows key and R, type regedit, and then press Enter) and then navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Launcher
  • Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience.
  • Double-click the newly create item and set the value to 1.
  • Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer — or just restart Explorer

Article above warns the following, so be mindful if you proceed to do this: "Enabling this registry hack may corrupt your Start experience. So, don’t try this on your everyday machines."

Tried this and it looked nothing like it is supposed to look. Didn't work right had to revert back

- Pen not working yet, but pen button opens OneNote / takes screenshots.
- VPN working better than it did in Windows 8.1

Man, as soon as the pen works, this will be getting installed and use as a daily driver. I greatly appreciate you keeping the community informed on the progress of these builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.