What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cask

Aha, that's probably it: you have to upgrade a previous Win10 build to get the new version. Makes some sense, finally, thanks.

And I hear you re: the new version. Good thing is, I've been using OneNote 2013 anyways so it doesn't really matter to me. Incidentally, is it weird that the best touch-based OneNote is the iOS version? Yes, I think it is...
I got the new OneNote both when upgrading from 8.1 and on a clean install

wynand32

I got the new OneNote both when upgrading from 8.1 and on a clean install

Well, then, I'm flabbergasted. I did an update from my previous 8.1 install, an update from a clean 8.1 install, and a clean install from ISO, and every time I got the old MUI OneNote. That's just freaking bizarre.

wynand32

Just installed the update, and for the first time since running Win10 my fan has settled down. I would LOVE if that means they fixed something...

Edit: Just started Mail, and as usual Communications Service has kicked in and the fan is running again. Okay, I might have to go back to Win8.1 myself--can't use this thing when it's whining like an immature freight train.

Last edited:

RémiM

Now I can see another update (aka 9931 Professional) but for some reasons I am not able to download it.

Edit: the reason has an error code: 0x80246017

Derekamoss

Well I finally got it running on mine. I really do miss the start screen and charms bar. For the first time in my life I decided to dable by putting the task bar on the right side instead of bottom and auto hide and I have something like a charms bar at least. I might even thing the task bar looks better on the side

GTiceman

Now I can see another update (aka 9931 Professional) but for some reasons I am not able to download it.

Same here, wonder if it is an update that is coming this week.

Also, my network switched to public and no option to switch it back

mcsenerd

Well I finally got it running on mine. I really do miss the start screen and charms bar. For the first time in my life I decided to dable by putting the task bar on the right side instead of bottom and auto hide and I have something like a charms bar at least. I might even thing the task bar looks better on the side
Yep... I'm just holding out all hope that MS doesn't screw the touchscreen pooch with this "update". They better have some better UI design ahead in the near future or like all the folks forever strapped to a mouse and keyboard were hanging onto Win7 for dear life...I'll be doing the same with Win8.1. The stuff they've taken away from a touchscreen perspective is simply nonsensical. An auto-hide taskbar and default quasi-full-screen apps does not equal a true touchscreen interface. Oh well...they've still got time to get some of these things fixed but with each subsequent update...I'm losing hope that they'll ever get around to it. They've probably got more people working on getting silly Cortana working on desktop computers than they do fixing the UI problems. (I can just see the cubicle rows of cheap IT labor screaming "hey cortana" over and over and over again until it's a deafening roar.)

tarrant64

This is making it's way around other tech sites too. It's most likely a bug. Lots of people are starting to see it after installing KB3035129.

RémiM

I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but the experience on IE seems much more seamless since KB3035129.

By the way, the multi-gesture on the keyboard is very pleasant.

mitchellvii

Just installed the update, and for the first time since running Win10 my fan has settled down. I would LOVE if that means they fixed something...

Edit: Just started Mail, and as usual Communications Service has kicked in and the fan is running again. Okay, I might have to go back to Win8.1 myself--can't use this thing when it's whining like an immature freight train.

As tempting as it is to run the latest and greatest, 8.1 is just so rock solid at this point it's hard to give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.