What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
how does win10 look like on surface pro 3? I didint install it yet, but I dont get microsoft about metro UI.
Wouldnt it be better to have both: new start menu and metro depending on what and how are you working?

It's just great on the SP3. The new start menu is essentially metro UI other than that you still get the task bar and the ability to run apps in windows rather than full screen. when in tablet mode, there is no desktop; you are either browsing a folder or running an app, else the start screen takes up the whole screen with tiles.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Booooo. I thought that with the addition of a screen off setting along side the sleep setting, MS had finally sorte out that absurd "feature" of not being able to run anything but MUI apps unless the device was powered on and screen on.

Nope, when the screen turns off (but the device doesn't go to sleep) it is no different. All programs cease to be. Not really any point in having that setting available in that case.

GmC

I just like metro as it is. Really simple and i dont have to press extra start button to get it. For internet use and some light stuff it's great looking like tablet and nothing getting in the way.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just like metro as it is. Really simple and i dont have to press extra start button to get it. For internet use and some light stuff it's great looking like tablet and nothing getting in the way.

Pretty much how windows 10 ehaves in tablet mode. start screen is always there, open an app and you use the app, close it and it takes you back to the start screen (which can be really annoying).

While you have your opinion, the general opinion appears to be that tablet mode in win 10 to be far superior to in 8.1. I used 10 since the release of the beat, and upon getting the s3 a month or two back with 8.1 on it, 8.1 was just a dinosaur in comparison for tablet use. Following their work on win 10, those MS software engineers and such must be sat there thinking how in gods name did we create and release that crap?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@GmC ,

Here are some shots of Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3:

Screenshot (104).png

Screenshot (105).png

Screenshot (106).png

Screenshot (107).png

Screenshot (108).png

Screenshot (109).png

Screenshot (110).png

Screenshot (111).png

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
@GmC

When you've an app running
1.JPG

When you close an app it looks like this (I've little to no use for tiles)
2.jpg

I wonder what use there is for the snipping tools new 'Delay' feature. Can't think of any instances where I've needed to delay the snip.

malberttoo

I wonder what use there is for the snipping tools new 'Delay' feature. Can't think of any instances where I've needed to delay the snip.

It is for when you need time to make a clipping of something AFTER you've had a moment to drop a menu down, or highlight some piece of navigation etc. Basically gives you a moment to set the screen up a certain way if you need.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ha! I use them all, indeed.

Putting them into those category names (verbs) helps me remember, "I have an app for that!"

Status
Not open for further replies.