What's new

Solved Windows 10 won't update - stuck at 0%

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Havn't seen one of these threads in a while so my turn! :)

Finally decided to update windows 10 on a desktop of mine (no idea what version it was). It downloaded 1067, which I think is the anniversary update. It downloads just fine, but once the system restarts it starts installing and then just sits at 0% for hours on end. I've tried everything I can, unplugging any usb devices, harddrives, you name it. Stuck at 0%.

I even went so far as to format the hdd and re-install with a variety of ISO's of different versions of win 10 yet every time it just sits at 0% when installing. at this rate I'm just going to dig out an old windows 7 license and give up on 10 on this machine.

Any ideas?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Disable Insider Preview if you are enrolled. Cold boot at least twice. Re-enable Fast Ring of Insider Preview. Update.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Start Services (desktop app), find "Windows Update" and Stop the service. Then restart. It may take two restarts for Windows to clean up. Then retry Windows Update.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it borked itself. Tried to update, then sat there for 12 hours restoring previous version to no avail.

I've booted up Linux and the ssd is reported to be just fine. So have spent today attempting a reinstall. It'll no longer even do that. Just gets stuck at various stages of the installation. Have tried multiple iso's, multiple USB drives, USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. Nothing. Ubuntu still installs without an issue (I would just settle with that, but one key hard drive refuses to show up in Ubuntu other than saying g it is empty. Strangely it is the only drive which windows shows as not an active drive in disk management and cannot beset to active).

A very frustrating couple of days! Downloading 8.1 right now and will see what happens with that. Setting g up raid on XP was less annoying than this.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has been the most frustrating experience in a long while. Early insider build issues seem fun in comparison.

Finally gotten windows installed though after what was probably around 200 attempts. Not really sure what the culprit was, as I did manage to install a version a week or so ago, resulting in the failed update. Out of frustration I decided to poke around in BIOS and decided just to disable secure boot. Voila. Not sure why that would have changed anything, given I had been able install windows 10 a week before with it enabled. No more linux, I finally have access to my key hard drive again :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
skip the 200 attempts... What's with the prior reinstalls??? and touching disk partitions with Linux (or a Mac/Nix OS) can result in foreign ney alien bits in inconvenient places which could lead to unpredictable results. During any of these reinstall attempts did you just try wiping the entire disk (delete partitions) then reinstall? that might be something to consider... also what about a micro SD card or attached USB devices, both known to cause nasty problems from time to time.

I didn't come here to tell you how this would end ... only to think out of the box.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
skip the 200 attempts... What's with the prior reinstalls??? and touching disk partitions with Linux (or a Mac/Nix OS) can result in foreign ney alien bits in inconvenient places which could lead to unpredictable results. During any of these reinstall attempts did you just try wiping the entire disk (delete partitions) then reinstall? that might be something to consider... also what about a micro SD card or attached USB devices, both known to cause nasty problems from time to time.

I didn't come here to tell you how this would end ... only to think out of the box.

All installs were done with partitions either formatted, or completely deleted and re-created. Originally it had an old version of windows 10 installed, but I spent the last 2 years without an internet connection other than my phone, so it was never updated. I tried updating it a week or so back and it would just fail, eventually it also failed at reverting to the previous version and sat there for 12 hours. So then I downloaded a wheelbarrow of various ISO's and not one of them would get through the installation (it would just freeze up at random percentages during the installing file system, or installing updates). Linux installed just fine, and ran fine, so didn't think it was a faulty drive. There were that many attempts because I tried every combination of everything I could think of (other than BIOS settings :p)

And I did as I normally do, and unplugged all hdd's, and everything other than HDMI and my keyboard.

Turned off secure boot in bios and it installed first time. No idea why though as the original win 10 install was done on the same clean drive via ISO with secure boot enabled.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All installs were done with partitions either formatted, or completely deleted and re-created. Originally it had an old version of windows 10 installed, but I spent the last 2 years without an internet connection other than my phone, so it was never updated. I tried updating it a week or so back and it would just fail, eventually it also failed at reverting to the previous version and sat there for 12 hours. So then I downloaded a wheelbarrow of various ISO's and not one of them would get through the installation (it would just freeze up at random percentages during the installing file system, or installing updates). Linux installed just fine, and ran fine, so didn't think it was a faulty drive. There were that many attempts because I tried every combination of everything I could think of (other than BIOS settings :p)

And I did as I normally do, and unplugged all hdd's, and everything other than HDMI and my keyboard.

Turned off secure boot in bios and it installed first time. No idea why though as the original win 10 install was done on the same clean drive via ISO with secure boot enabled.
Id definitely try without anything attached if you run into this in the future and make sure any/all Firmware update's are installed. ( I had a similar issue with upgrading my Dad's Dell XPS 18 AIO. The USB Dock was giving it fits even after updating the Firmware. )

it had an old version of windows 10 installed, but I spent the last 2 years without an internet connection other than my phone, so it was never updated
so if you had an old firmware it might have not played well with the newer OS.

After further review I'd look at OEM drivers also... you can integrate drivers into the install image with DSIM Add and Remove Drivers to an Offline Windows Image

Last edited:
OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
And..... I'm back on linux. Computer constantly locking up. Couldn't even install updates as would lock up while downloading/installing. Would even lock up while sat at the log in screen, as well as getting past the spinning dots while booting being hit and miss. Will try updating my bios tomorrow but don't hold much hope.

If only my hdd was recognised by linux then i wouldn't really mind. At the end of the day it stops me being able to play games which can only be a good thing given the amount of work on my plate right now :)