What's new

Windows 10’s most potentially revolutionary feature

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
windows-10-screenshot.jpg

The traditional password system is due for a serious shakeup. Because so many people choose utterly boneheaded passwords that are easily hacked, websites are increasingly requiring more complex passwords that get more difficult to remember every time we change them. However, a new report from ZDNet says that a potentially revolutionary fix for this annoying problem is coming in Windows 10.

The big change here is that Microsoft is for the first time supporting the Fast Online Identity (FIDO) standard that ZDNet says will “enable password-free sign-on for a number of applications.” FIDO is something that’s been in the works for years nowand has attracted the support of not only Microsoft but also Google, Samsung, Lenovo and LG, among other industry heavyweights.

So what will replace passwords? Per ZDNet, FIDO’s big focus seems to be on biometrics such as “face, voice, iris, and fingerprint” sensors like the fingerprint scanner found on Apple’s Touch ID systems. FIDO is also working on a password dongle that could...

Continue Reading @: http://bgr.com/2015/02/18/windows-10-best-features/

Arizona Willie

Hmm, I haven't seen anything like this in the preview release of W10.

Of course, I wasn't expecting it and haven't been looking for alternate means of logging in.

But, as big a deal as this is, or could be, I am surprised Microsoft hasn't publicized it.

Perhaps it's like Cortana --- nice idea but nowhere near working status yet.

Or Continuum --- announced but nowhere in sight.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on the current rumors of June RTM date Id expect them to go Feature Complete in April... (Probably April 1st)... whatever isn't done will just roll into the Continuous update Cycle to be released later. I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three major features miss the initial cut and be delivered after GA.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's like someone just realized that Back to School is the real "Major Purchasing Cycle" of the year so suddenly everything is shifting forward from a Holiday Release schedule to accommodate that. A June 30 RTM date would be kinda late for vendors to take W10 and Skylake and release machines into the channel for August. Some may melt down or at least require some significant updates to function normally ... (Sp4 I'm looking at you), and Lenovo too.

Arizona Willie

Actually W10 is W8 with a shiny new UI and a couple of apps -- Cortana and maybe Continuum if they ever get it working.

Still uses NTFS file system. Still works with 32 bit programs. Most W8 programs run just fine in W10.

leeshor

It's strange that my Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems can detect my HP MFP completely but windows 10 will not see the scanner. That can probably be rectified but I ran into the very same problem in the early days of Windows 7. The Windows 10 native driver set falls way short in the printer selections.

leeshor

Not a problem accessing the IP and printing, just no scanning. I could at least get 8 to see the scanner, but not really use it well without drivers.

Printing is not the issue.

Arizona Willie

I had a similar problem with a Canon MFP when W8 came out.
Canon < could > have produced a driver for it but their answer was " buy our new printer " so I donated their printer and bought a Brother.
Not gonna buy from people who give you that kind of answer ... if I can possibly help it.
At least when there is no good reason for that answer. It would have been easy enough for them to make a driver for the printer. No technical reason they couldn't ... but they think they can force people to BUY MORE MORE MORE MORE.