What's new

Windows 8.2... What Do You Want!?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

How many tiles do you have!? It would take me less than 1/10th of a second to scroll to the other end of mine lol... the folder isn't a bad idea though. The only thing with those is they tend to be so ugly. Maybe they should do it so you could select which tile you want within the folder to be live and be on show.

Nuspieds

How many tiles do you have!? It would take me less than 1/10th of a second to scroll to the other end of mine lol... the folder isn't a bad idea though. The only thing with those is they tend to be so ugly. Maybe they should do it so you could select which tile you want within the folder to be live and be on show.
Right now I have 65 tiles and that will only continue to increase over time as I transition more and more from legacy Desktop apps to Modern UI apps.

The concept of organizing objects into some sort of hierarchical structure should not be limited to legacy Desktop mode. As of right now, I have complete faith that they will fix this issue--much as they have done with Modern UI IE and its Favorites. However, I am not holding my breath and if MS eventually refuses to address this problem, I will eventually refuse to scroll and scroll and scroll just to find the tile I want. At that point, I will start my transition off Windows 8.x (or whatever it is at the point).

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Don't forget you can just zoom out and click where you want to be :) might find that a bit quicker if it is taking you so long to scroll through your tiles.

dlacaba

For those who dual monitor, I'd like the option to keep one screen locked on the Start screen. With emails and weather and news popping up, it could be used as a dashboard.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Via the Live Tiles you mean? I often do that
wink.png

I want... this!

Fixing Windows 8 ? jay machalani

IMG_8752.jpg

06.jpg

11b.jpg

09.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I really would hate the above Fix...it still uses the 1995 paradigm, do much wasted space for Chrome. I work in Office all day and get really annoyed with all of the wasted space for tools even in Hide Tabs Full Screen the Chrome takes up to much space...

SEANT

Jay Machalani shares some interesting conceptual observations. I actually agree that his reorganization strategy makes sense; I just don’t think it amounts to much of a tangible difference to a user – other than an overriding opportunity to flip the Jekyll and Hyde switch on this mildly schizophrenic OS.

One interesting point he makes is that Microsoft created an illusion that the “Desktop” is a just another modern app in the metro lineup. Did it imply that ‘Metro’ is the foundation? That would be quite scary to heavy hitting desktop users. It may be why there seems to be an irrational dislike for the OS.

Hopefully, that illusions removal in 8.1 (by allowing a boot directly to the desktop) will be less intimidating to organizations looking to upgrade.

Last edited:

SEANT

What I want from Windows 8.2:

Windows 8.2 RT able to act a SmartGlass for 8.2 Pro.
Windows Phone 8.2 able to act a SmartGlass for 8.2 RT & 8.2 Pro.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With the free app PC Remote you can already do that, it is available on Windows Store and the Windows Phone Store. But you could only control the Pro though as the Server piece is x86.

Nuspieds

Don't forget you can just zoom out and click where you want to be :) might find that a bit quicker if it is taking you so long to scroll through your tiles.
Yes, there's zooming but my point isn't about being quicker, but about being more organized.

Rather than have to depend on scrolling horizontally to access my apps/live tiles, I'd like to have the ability to drill down into various folders and subfolders into which I can place my live tiles.

Let me tell you that when I first learned about live tiles, I thought they were silly. But once I experienced them, I loved them! As such, I always check to see what info a live tile displays in the various sizes and that's how I decide what size it should be. So I'm all in when it comes to live tiles; consequently, I need a more efficient and effective means of organizing them than horizontally scrolling through groups.

SEANT

With the free app PC Remote you can already do that, it is available on Windows Store and the Windows Phone Store. But you could only control the Pro though as the Server piece is x86.

The notion isn't to control it, specifically, it is more like cooperative support. Similar to what I posted here (ignore the bit about the custom blades):
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-2/6029-surface-2-killer-app.html#post37910

Even though I’ve brought this ‘cooperative’ notion up before, I thought it best to repeat it here, in a thread devoted to an 8.2 wish list. It’s looking like you may have some influence with the boys in Redmond, perhaps even enough to coax a glance from them at this thread. It would be a good source of feedback from some early adopting enthusiast.

Granted, there’s not much of mine that you agree with, but my wishes might get collateral exposure as you point out the more reasonable requests.:D