What's new

Windows Hello External Camera with Surface Dock

Scott Sanford

Hi,
I have a Surface Book as well as a Surface Laptop and have the dock which I love, but I would like to log in using the Windows Hello facial recognition, but even with a certified camera, it appears that Hello is tied to the built in camera. Is there a way to specify when docked that the external camera should be used?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I have a Surface Book as well as a Surface Laptop and have the dock which I love, but I would like to log in using the Windows Hello facial recognition, but even with a certified camera, it appears that Hello is tied to the built in camera. Is there a way to specify when docked that the external camera should be used?

Thanks
Outside of disabling the internal camera via the UEFI screen - no (and that is just a theory)

ambrofelipe

I suppose this has changed somehow, cause I have a hello camera and it works through the dock when it's plugged. When not plugged, the built in camera takes over.

The only problem now is that Windows Hello's calibration is very specific to one camera, so it ends up not working so well on the other one, even if you go to settings and refine the authentication on both of them.