What's new

Would Upgrading to Windows 10 Help Solve This?

laurie1203

I have a surface pro 3 running windows 8.1. Had it almost a year and it has always had issues with windows updates. I can sometimes get it to run the odd one or two but usually, after it reboots it says the update has failed and it reverts to the original settings.

It has been something I have been meaning to sort out of course but never managed to find a way other than to reinstall windows. I have so much on my surface though that this would be a huge job so I have always put it off. Last week though I had tried to install an update, then it went to sleep mode before it had restarted. When I tried to start it, it was just dead. No amount of resets with the usual power button, or power and volume combo would get it to start. I spoke to support who talked me through another round of resets but then said it would need to be replaced so I needed to send it back to them and that they could not try to repair it so all data would be lost.

I kept putting off sending it back and trying to reset it. Amazingly, last night I just pressed the power button and it worked out of the blue. It reset itself and all is back to normal :) Now of course I have to address the update problem as a matter of urgency as support said that they have found this happens quite often if it sleeps during a failed update.

Sorry for the long winded explanation of the issues! What I need to find out is if there is a way to get it to accept the updates (I have tried all at once, one at a time and a few at a time) without losing all my programs and data by reinstalling windows. Failing that, would upgrading to windows 10 solve the problem, and if so, are there any known issues with Windows 10 on my model? I am also using an older versions of Office and wondered if that would still work with Windows 10. Thanks so much if you have read this far!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends which updates you are talking about. There was a lot of issue regarding firmware updates that would continually appear despite supposedly having installed them.

My personal opinion is yes, get windows 10. There are teething issues, as one would expect from a product launched prematurely, but imo it is leaps and bounds above 8.1 and i've rarely encountered any issues at all since the recent updates.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
First, make a backup of all your data now. Don't pass go, don't collect $200, go directly to backup. ;)

Installing W10 wouldn't be much different than doing a Refresh. It might clear up some problems or give you new ones.

Have you done a scan with SFC?
Open an admin command prompt and run SFC /scannow
Is it clean or does it find errors?

OP
L

laurie1203

First, make a backup of all your data now. Don't pass go, don't collect $200, go directly to backup. ;)

Installing W10 wouldn't be much different than doing a Refresh. It might clear up some problems or give you new ones.

Have you done a scan with SFC?
Open an admin command prompt and run SFC /scannow
Is it clean or does it find errors?

Hi GreyFox7

I have an up to date copy of all my user files but have to confess I don't have a backup that includes programs and system files :eek:. I need to find a storage method that doesn't cost the earth to deal with this asap, I know.

I have done a scan with SFC. It reports that "windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". I have looked at the cbs.log file but have to confess I haven't much clue where to start in fathoming out the problem:confused:.