What's new

WOW, Xbox music can play the whole album without pay, is it a limited time or forever?

GoodBytes

XBox Music is free for Windows 8 users.
You have unlimited music streaming (with ads) for the first 6 month, then you have 10h per month of listening.

If you get the subscription which 10$ per month (or 100$ per year, or cheaper if you watch for special during Christmas time. I got mine at 50$), then you have unlimited music streaming with no ads anywhere, and unlimited music download (playable on Windows 8 systems, Windows Phone 8, and as well with iOS and Android (with XBox Music app). In addition, as part of your subscription, you also have access to the Zune marketplace for the Zune desktop app (identical music store, unlimited streaming and download). This is offered for music streaming/download on Windows 7, Vista and XP systems, and so that you can transfer your downloaded music to the Zune MP3 player series, and Windows Phone 7.

I have the XBox Music, and I think it's awesome. And an amazing deal if you listen to a lot of music.
The only thing I wish it had, is the ability to just play random songs of a genre. Like a Radio station by genre.

Dgbail

Please help me with Xbox Music. It was on my Surface 2/RT when I bought it, then is disappeared (I do not think it was deleted), now Windows Store says I own it and can install but when I install it does not appear in my apps. Where is it or did it ever download?? I miss my music

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are new to Windows 8.x you get 6 months free Streaming with Xbox Music, after that it is Ad supported and limited to 10 hours a month, or for $10/month or $99/year you can unlimited streaming.... cloud sync of your music, etc.

GoodBytes

If you can't find your Music App, and when you search you can't find it either.

Open the command prompt as Admin (Win+X > Command prompt (Admin)).
Type and hit Enter:
dism /online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages

This will give you the list of every install Windows 8 App installed in your account.
Look for: Microsoft.ZuneMusic

xboxmusic_uninstall1.png

Copy down the PakageName, which can be different in your system. Feel free to open another command prompt as admin for the next step so that you can copy it for the next step, if you don't know how to copy things from the command prompt window.

Then type in the command:
dism /online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage/PackageName:<NAME OF THE PAKAGE>

For example in my case:
dism /online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage/PackageName:Microsoft.ZuneMusic_2014.606.26.4959_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Hit Enter to execute. This will uninstall the App.

Now, do Win+Q, which will open the search box in Windows, and type: WSReset.exe, and hit Enter.
This will reset the Windows store cache files, and start it up.

Now look for the Music App in the Windows store:
(direct link): http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-ca/app/music/16db93bf-8748-449a-96ba-e9ed3a5f872d

And you should be able to install it.

TunaSurface

Every time I open xbox music it logs me in automatically. I choose a song, it has a preview button and a buy button next to it.

GoodBytes

Ah. It is because you are i n Finland. You don't have the streaming service available. Only purchasing the songs. In your case, look at services like Spotify, which is more Europe focused. Spotify isn't available where I live (Canada), I only have XBox Music