What's new

Youtube Reviewer Sends Surface Book Back For Refund

Migi

Well it speaks volumes that you keep hearing over and over about the shitty phone support MS has. My one time I had to call Apple phone support about an issue I got an American and my issue was resolved very quickly. MS is going to regret outsourcing important stuff to India.

Niterider4

I feel very similarly to the OP, although my SB problems have been completely different. My Surface Book is a buggy piece of crap for which I paid an exorbitant price. Every day something different doesn't work, and every update fixes one problem and creates another. I'm almost amused to see what happens when updates are installed - I have given up being optimistic.

Microsoft scammed me into buying this overpriced piece of junk. Lesson learned.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lon, I feel it's relevant to review your review and in doing so I'll use an "Apprentice" metaphor.

Lon you're fired! This is not the professional standard I was looking for, nothing about your video would compel me to view any of your other videos or ever consider your opinion of value. Show yourself out.

Niterider4

On the contrary, Lon's review is absolutely representative of the utter frustration that many of us have experienced with our Surface Books. His review is also a refreshing change from the multiple fanboy reviews that gloss over all the myriad Surface Book bugs as being either unimportant or sure to be fixed in the future. He also emphasizes perhaps the most important point - this is not a $500 Acer laptop - this is supposed to be, in Microsoft's ridiculous own words, "The ultimate laptop". Rubbish.

I wish I could have read Lon's article before I plunked down my hard earned money on this overblown overhyped box of bugs.

Niterider4

I guess the inevitable conclusion is that some SB users are having all kinds of problems and some are not. And I suppose which camp one finds oneself in depends on all kinds of variables, including configuration, build date, installed applications, usage patterns, and other factors.

However, the fact that many users are still having so many problems suggests that there is a problem, overall. Saying that some users are not having problems is no answer to those who are having problems. And having people in India telling customers to reinstall Windows as a supposed fix to every possible problem is a very weak and ineffective approach to customer service.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess the inevitable conclusion is that some SB users are having all kinds of problems and some are not. And I suppose which camp one finds oneself in depends on all kinds of variables, including configuration, build date, installed applications, usage patterns, and other factors.

However, the fact that many users are still having so many problems suggests that there is a problem, overall. Saying that some users are not having problems is no answer to those who are having problems. And having people in India telling customers to reinstall Windows as a supposed fix to every possible problem is a very weak and ineffective approach to customer service.

True.

However regarding the ineffective approach to customer service, doing a reset or refresh etc is one of the common pieces of advice that this forum will offer, because of how many times it has been shown to work. The reason for recommending a re-install is also used because it removes all other factors making diagnosis far easier than having to account for every modification done to the system by the user while searching for a solution. One of the reasons you'll almost never get your data back when you send a device in for repair etc, because the first thing they will do is load up a fresh install for just that reason.

OP
N

netuser

He didn't try the last update that should have at least fixed the hot bag issue. However, that update just came out a few weeks ago I can see that he probably had already made up his mind to return it at that point due to getting it back dented and having poor phone support.
I have also experienced poor phone support at Microsoft, both for the Surface and for other issues.
Shockingly poor phone support for a company as large as Microsoft. I have never seen as poorly trained customer service reps at Dell or HP.

OP
N

netuser

True.

However regarding the ineffective approach to customer service, doing a reset or refresh etc is one of the common pieces of advice that this forum will offer, because of how many times it has been shown to work. The reason for recommending a re-install is also used because it removes all other factors making diagnosis far easier than having to account for every modification done to the system by the user while searching for a solution. One of the reasons you'll almost never get your data back when you send a device in for repair etc, because the first thing they will do is load up a fresh install for just that reason.

I don't think the issue here is that they asked him to reset the device.
He reset the device, sent it in for RMA, the issue still wasn't resolved and it was sent back damaged.