What's new

Solved Surface Book is Going Back

Niterider4

My Surface Book crashes repeatedly during sleep, and occasionally during use. I also occasionally get the hot bag issue, where I close the lid, put the SB in my bag, and two hours later I could fry an egg on the SB and the battery is depleted.

I have run the DSIM procedure and I have reinstalled Windows completely. The latter reduced the crashes to about once per week, for maybe four weeks. Now my SB is back to crashing every day or at best every other day.

Typically, I use the SB, close the lid, and when I open the lid again the next day the screen is black although the keys light up. Press the power button for 30 seconds, reboot, and it's fine again until the next spontaneous crash. No error messages except "Windows was not properly shut down" and "The previous system shutdown at ... was unexpected".

Since my warranty is about to expire, I am now sending back my SB and getting a replacement. I have absolutely zero confidence that the replacement will be any better than the POS I have now.

The Surface Book is easily the least reliable computer I have ever owned. It is less reliable than several computers I own that cost a fraction of what the Surface Book costs.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I am now sending back my SB and getting a replacement. I have absolutely zero confidence that the replacement will be any better than the POS I have now ...

@Niterider4

I hope the replacement proves you wrong, and brings you the kind of productivity and very positive experience which is vastly more common to Surface users.

Let us know.

Lobo

@Niterider4, this is exactly why I finally sold my Surface Pro 3. I really tried to like it, but the bugs rendered it unusable.

Funnily enough, I decided to make another jump at the Surface Book 2 weeks ago (wanted to make sure M$ had time to iron out bugs) and lo and behold, everything is running trouble-free so far. I'm amazed actually.

So I really hope you received a lemon and the replacement clears things up. As long as everything is up to date, you should exepct a reliable system.

wynand32

@Niterider4, this is exactly why I finally sold my Surface Pro 3. I really tried to like it, but the bugs rendered it unusable.

Funnily enough, I decided to make another jump at the Surface Book 2 weeks ago (wanted to make sure M$ had time to iron out bugs) and lo and behold, everything is running trouble-free so far. I'm amazed actually.

So I really hope you received a lemon and the replacement clears things up. As long as everything is up to date, you should exepct a reliable system.

I want to borrow the time machine that let you jump forward and grab a Surface Book 2. :)

wynand32

Not really needed; I bought the Surface Book 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago = 14 days in the past. :p

Well, technically speaking, you bought the Surface Book with Performance Base. The actual Surface Book 2 is predicted to arrive in either April or October 2017.

Lobo

Technically and grammatically, I bought a Surface Book w/o Performance Base (not available in Europe). And I did that 2 weeks ago. 14 days. A fortnight. That doesn't make it a Surface Book 2. I'm at a loss as to how to rephrase it more refined or specific really. The English language offers only so much grammatical structure to avoid confusion.

wynand32

Technically and grammatically, I bought a Surface Book w/o Performance Base (not available in Europe). And I did that 2 weeks ago. 14 days. A fortnight. That doesn't make it a Surface Book 2. I'm at a loss as to how to rephrase it more refined or specific really. The English language offers only so much grammatical structure to avoid confusion.

Hee hee. OMFG. That's what I get for skimming rather than reading carefully. Or, maybe I'm just losing my mind--that's entirely possible as well given how things have been going lately.

Now, let me just make the excuse that I have Surface Book 2 on the brain, because I'm waiting very impatiently to see if Microsoft releases it in April. Otherwise, let me just slink quietly out the side door...

Lobo

Well I'm glad we could clear things up. :p

Don't worry though, my head tends to be a bit mushy these days as well, so you're not alone. ;)

OP
N

Niterider4

The replacement SB has arrived. I have installed all the Windows and SB updates, and I have installed Office and my other software. Now we will see if this one is any better than the POS it replaced.

I must say that MS support has been great. They have been responsive and easy to deal with. I had no trouble getting them to send me a replacement, and it arrived very promptly. If only the hardware was as good as the support.

Lobo

Good to hear M$ hasn't let you down with the replacement, I hope you're headed for a trouble-free experience now! :)