What's new

3DMarks Scores of Surface Pro 3 Models (i3/i5/i7)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I apologize for my "blanket factual statement". I wasn't aware any MS shareholders were watching :).
Of course you are happy with a light performing tablet with your light demanding tasks... I am not.
Take it back and exchange it for an SP2 that suits you, but stop dismissing anything that not full on 3D Rendering is a light workload as if ...

Based on professional benchmarks 85-90% of users can use the SP3 quite satisfactorily. If you think the shareholders will say ... no no... target the 10%, to heck with sales growth, you will have to rethink.

megatronium

MS made an ad specifically addressing my profession... I don't care about the rest 95%.

Which ad is that? Do they show the SP3 with a rendering window with the percentage rendered increasing dramatically? If you're rendering all day on a SP3, you're using the wrong tool. If you're modeling or piecing together video on the SP3 and still having problems, you may have a lemon. Or you're expecting too much from a device in this form factor and don't care about the added resolution or screen real estate, in which case the SP2 is your ideal machine.

infer66

1st the SP3 is going back.
2nd I don't expect any tablet device to render anything, only use it to RDC to see what the render farm is doing, even opening a file is painfully slower than the older device.
3rd I understand that people parted money for the SP3 and are defending their decision, sometimes aggressively.

megatronium

1st the SP3 is going back.
2nd I don't expect any tablet device to render anything, only use it to RDC to see what the render farm is doing, even opening a file is painfully slower than the older device.
3rd I understand that people parted money for the SP3 and are defending their decision, sometimes aggressively.

Opening a file is tough on your SP3? You should definitely take it back. It's too bad that the device isn't for you. We'll miss having your contributions to this forum.

infer66

Opening a 3dmax file I am working on is slower on the SP3 than on the SP2. Redrawing the screen is slower, saving is slower, rotating the scene is slower, changing materials is slower.
The device is working as intented. 8 more in the office getting ready to be shipped back.
Don't worry I am not going anywere. See you in the faster SP2 forums.

megatronium

Opening a 3dmax file I am working on is slower on the SP3 than on the SP2. Redrawing the screen is slower, saving is slower, rotating the scene is slower, changing materials is slower.
The device is working as intented. 8 more in the office getting ready to be shipped back.
Understandable. I was talking about the SP3 forum. I don't have a SP2 so I don't go to that forum.

ctitanic

Faster, heavier, with a weird screen format, Thicker, so if those made you happy good for you.