What's new

$908 Million in Surface Sales, Driven by SP3

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
woo hoo! A round of drinks for everyone.
Now back to work, must keep the ball rolling and lets gets some growth next quarter.

tat3406

wow, all devices doing better compare to previous quarter. I hope future product and accessories will going cheaper and more choice.

Deryl McCarty

I too think the SP4 will have a few changes, but not a major overhaul.

I can see another USB but I don't think it is really necessary. I bought a $29 (or maybe it was $39) CableMatters USB 3, powered 10 port extender and it does everything docking stations can do including providing a charge. I don't want my SP3 to provide that charge since it will just take away from already iffy battery life. If the SP4 comes with a 14nm Broadwell (and an an improved intel GPU) then both computing power and battery life will improve. The only thing I see as a big improvement might be fan (though perhaps if the Broadwell only draws 4.5W then maybe the fan is not even necessary.

If I were Panos Panay and king of the Surface world the only thing I would insist upon is a convenient, secure pen attachment capability.

And, strangely, I am beginning to question my earlier thought that the Type Cover should be sold as part of the SPro package. I find that I don't use the TC, but rather at home and at "work" use a wired MS 4000 when I occasionally type, but mostly the pen. One Note and my pen have become best of buds.

kristalsoldier

I too think the SP4 will have a few changes, but not a major overhaul.

I can see another USB but I don't think it is really necessary. I bought a $29 (or maybe it was $39) CableMatters USB 3, powered 10 port extender and it does everything docking stations can do including providing a charge. I don't want my SP3 to provide that charge since it will just take away from already iffy battery life. If the SP4 comes with a 14nm Broadwell (and an an improved intel GPU) then both computing power and battery life will improve. The only thing I see as a big improvement might be fan (though perhaps if the Broadwell only draws 4.5W then maybe the fan is not even necessary.

If I were Panos Panay and king of the Surface world the only thing I would insist upon is a convenient, secure pen attachment capability.

And, strangely, I am beginning to question my earlier thought that the Type Cover should be sold as part of the SPro package. I find that I don't use the TC, but rather at home and at "work" use a wired MS 4000 when I occasionally type, but mostly the pen. One Note and my pen have become best of buds.

With specific reference to your comment about the Type Cover, my personal preference would be to have MS offer a keyboardless Cover with every Surface device and let the customer buy the Type Cover.

unruledboy

$908 millions, assume mid-range i5, price at $1200, so maximum only 750,000 units sold..... not to mention normally will bundle with type cover, it will end up around 600,000 units sold......

mitchellvii

Can you imagine if the SP3 had been the FIRST Surface Pro? Face it folks, we are overcoming a lot of negative stigma here. One of the problems MS has with their NFL promotion is that all of the SP3's used are housed in that massive blue case.

tat3406

$908 millions, assume mid-range i5, price at $1200, so maximum only 750,000 units sold..... not to mention normally will bundle with type cover, it will end up around 600,000 units sold......
At least Microsoft will gain profit from Surface line, and continue to develop Surface platform. This was 120% increase from previous quarter, now proof that SP3 is the right way compared to SP or and SP2. Microsoft always have good product but bad marketing, still a lot of customer still not understand the wonderful of Surface.

kristalsoldier

Only caveat here, for me at least, is that ultimately I want Windows to succeed. And so although I'm happy about the SP3's success, I'm not against other Windows machines being successful. I don't really think the Surface line will be an industry leader in sales numbers, but rather in technology--and, I don't think it has to be a sales leader as long as it's break-even or mildly profitable.

But, with so much competition coming from mobile, Chromebook, and even OS X, I want many OEMs to be successful in addition to Microsoft to make sure that Windows remains dominant.

That's very true! And I agree. the Surface need not sell like the IPad...it just needs to be a trailblazer with sales in the black, which I think the figures show the SP3 is. This is good news for us who are dedicated fans of the Surface. It also bodes well for the industry as such and for general tech sector.

dleuen

This is very cool news indeed. And it kind of follows my experiences. Anyone I've shown my SP3 to has been really impressed. Not sure how many have gone out to buy one after. When people see it instead of saying "meh" they typically say "wow".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I was interviewed for my new gig, I brought my SP3 to the interview, I would start 2.5 weeks later, between the time I was interviewed to hire, the CEO, Chairman and the president all recieved SP3's, now both VPs have them and they will be rolling more out to consults and PMs....

InspectHerGadget

This is very cool news indeed. And it kind of follows my experiences. Anyone I've shown my SP3 to has been really impressed. Not sure how many have gone out to buy one after. When people see it instead of saying "meh" they typically say "wow".
One customer asked me today if I'm one of those people who lined up outside the Apple Store here in Perth recently for the iPhone 6.

Like many customers they think since the Surface is cool, sexy and compact it must be An Apple product...

Last edited:

bluegrass

When I was interviewed for my new gig, I brought my SP3 to the interview, I would start 2.5 weeks later, between the time I was interviewed to hire, the CEO, Chairman and the president all recieved SP3's, now both VPs have them and they will be rolling more out to consults and PMs....

Great story Jeff. I think similar things or going to happen over and over as this new technology gets into the hands of the right people. I haven't heard anything but praise from the few that got them where I work. The Surface has become my right arm and sits on my desk with me at work everyday next to the companies desktop.