What's new

Anyone think you can open the case?

Dan Klinger

Hi everyone,

I am aware of the SP3 teardowns available on the web today, but has anyone had any luck with opening one of these puppies? There is no way that MS would build a SP3 that just cannot be hardware serviceable?

From what I saw from those tear down videos, it looks like the glass has to be removed in order to access the inside.
I'm sure the techs know how to but I'm not brave enough to try it.

malberttoo

Hi everyone,

I am aware of the SP3 teardowns available on the web today, but has anyone had any luck with opening one of these puppies? There is no way that MS would build a SP3 that just cannot be hardware serviceable?

Hi Dan,

The SP3, as crazy as it sounds, is designed to be a "disposable" device, with an expected service life of 3 - 5 years. As such, it has no serviceable parts inside (RAM and SSD are both soldered) and once assembled, is never intended to be opened again.

iFixit is arguably one of the most experienced groups on the web doing hardware teardowns, and even they managed to break the display of the SP3 that they tore down.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not believe any authorized service center is opening these with the Rube Goldberg methods used by iFixit. They likely have a custom built tool/machine to heat to the precise temp needed to adequately soften the glue and mechanically pull the screen up with a suction plate that covers the entire screen applying even pressure. Insert unit, press start, wait for it... all automated.

If I remember right from the teardown the SSD was not soldered in but that's the about only thing.

Haldi

The SP3, as crazy as it sounds, is designed to be a "disposable" device
Is there an official Statement from microsoft about this Topic?

They likely have a custom built tool/machine to heat to the precise temp needed to adequately soften the glue and mechanically pull the screen up with a suction plate that covers the entire screen applying even pressure. Insert unit, press start, wait for it... all automated.

Exactly my toughts about this! Use Vacuum form in the exact same dimension as the Screen, the outter 2cm (which are glass only, extremly thin and glued) are being heated and the vacuum lifter in the center screen makes the pressure.

VickiFL

I don't like it, but I had to accept that the SP3 really isn't serviceable. Here are a couple video's that show how fragile the SP3 can be when you try to take it apart.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All of the Factory Refurbished Devices are exactly that....all returned devices are assessed and those that need actual service are sent back to the factory to be fixed with correct tools, parts, etc..

There isn't any field service centers, there are depots with Refurbished Devices located globally.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure that opening my case would just give me a case of spare parts.

Screenshot (205).png

bluegrass

I saw the directions on YouTube and I'm sure I could open it up. It probably would never work again though. Would be a $1800 look see.