What's new

Battery Life TERRIBLE after last update

OP
S

SeanP

I just removed iTunes...don't really need it there and I don't understand why it would run anything in the background. I disabled the run on startup option from it but to be safe, removed it.

Chrome is a different story. I need Chrome as there is an extension that I use for my work with SFDC and email tracking and syncing. I am careful that when I shut it down, I also don't let it run in the background as well. But, I understand that it is a battery hog.

However, despite all of that, it's always been on my machine and I haven't added anything else recently that would cause the battery to behave differently.

The only change that was made was downloading the firmware update from approx. 3 weeks ago that's supposed to "fix" issues. Each time I download it, something else happens. Prior to this battery issue, the last one caused my cursor on the keyboard cover to jump around randomly on the screen. Still does just not as much.

OP
S

SeanP

Just in the last 20 minutes since I have added my post, I went from 48% (as listed above) to 38% now. Nothing else is running in the background outside of IE which is how I am responding here. Nothing else running.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Run the powercfg /battery report and it will tell you exactly what your battery life is and will show the trends....

As a quicker fix rather then trying to narrow it down, a refresh or reset will most likely fix it....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just in the last 20 minutes since I have added my post, I went from 48% (as listed above) to 38% now. Nothing else is running in the background outside of IE which is how I am responding here. Nothing else running.
That's where if you study Task Manager/Resource Monitor or Energy reports you might catch something active that's abnormal.

OP
S

SeanP

Run the powercfg /battery report and it will tell you exactly what your battery life is and will show the trends....

As a quicker fix rather then trying to narrow it down, a refresh or reset will most likely fix it....

I did that and posted the results above although for some reason I cannot post the entire report. It saves a IE and cannot locate attachment when trying to do that here.

OP
S

SeanP

I removed all Apple resources that were installed. Seems like something would continue to run even though I would end the task. Outside of that I don't have much else installed.

ptrkhh

Have you checked the Task Manager?
Just sort all processes (the first tab) by the CPU usage, you will catch something that uses lots of CPU cycle.
Try resetting the Balanced power profile in Power Options.
If nothing helps, try Refresh

OP
S

SeanP

The one constant seems to be Desktop Windows Manager and Outlook as well as IE obviously being open

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Several times after updates I've seen "system" processes/interrupts running high CPU utilization...

leeshor

It is your choice to use Chrome but it will use as much of your battery as just about anything else you could be, would be using. As for iTunes, did you uninstall all of the components?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I did that and posted the results above although for some reason I cannot post the entire report. It saves a IE and cannot locate attachment when trying to do that here.
That was the energy report, not the battery report, we typically post the reports to a public folder on our OneDrive....