What's new

Can you good people recommend a good 128GB microSD card for the SP3? Thanks

MrFrosty

Just like the title asks. If I was going for a 64GB, I'd spring for a Samsung Evo 64GB but I'd prefer to go the extra mile and get a 128GB.

Thanks in advance.

malberttoo

Just like the title asks. If I was going for a 64GB, I'd spring for a Samsung Evo 64GB but I'd prefer to go the extra mile and get a 128GB.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

You might want to search it a bit, but I've seen lots of complaints about the Sandisks being a hair thinner than normal, and they often disconnect from the OS while in the SP3. Those that do have them (myself included) say they are fine if you put a bit of scotch tape on the thing to thicken it up a bit. YMMV.

strollin

I have the Sandisk 128GB card in my SP3 and it works fine, have never had any disconnects with it. No Scotch tape needed. It also worked fine in the Dell Venue 8 Pro that I had prior to the SP3.

I see on Amazon that there is an "old" version of the card and a "new" version of the card. I wonder if that's the difference? I'm pretty sure I have the "old" version since I bought mine right when Sandisk first started shipping them, in fact, pre-ordered and had to wait several months for it to actually ship.

malberttoo

I have the Sandisk 128GB card in my SP3 and it works fine, have never had any disconnects with it. No Scotch tape needed. It also worked fine in the Dell Venue 8 Pro that I had prior to the SP3.

I see on Amazon that there is an "old" version of the card and a "new" version of the card. I wonder if that's the difference? I'm pretty sure I have the "old" version since I bought mine right when Sandisk first started shipping them, in fact, pre-ordered and had to wait several months for it to actually ship.

I have the 64GB that I got for my SP1, and you're right they may have fixed the issue since then. But I saw several folks complaining of the issue when the SP3's came out.

Good excuse for me to get a bigger one! :D

iDatus

SAMSUNG Types and their claimed transfer speeds and my comparison added.
STANDARD Up to 24 MB/s (USB 2.0 Speed)
EVO Up to 48 MB/s (7200RPM Disk Speed)
PRO Up to 90MB/s (USB 3.0 /SSD speed)
Thought it was interesting to post the figures for people to make comparisons on what can be achieved with these micro SD cards today.

malberttoo

SAMSUNG Types and their claimed transfer speeds and my comparison added.
STANDARD Up to 24 MB/s (USB 2.0 Speed)
EVO Up to 48 MB/s (7200RPM Disk Speed)
PRO Up to 90MB/s (USB 3.0 /SSD speed)
Thought it was interesting to post the figures for people to make comparisons on what can be achieved with these micro SD cards today.

iDatus, welcome to the forum! And thanks so much for the info, it looks helpful!