What's new

Connecting Surface to TV

Girevik

I bought an HDMI adapter for my Surface 3 for projecting onto a TV, but when I connect it I get a "mode not supported" error. Can anyone provide a suggestion on what I need to do to get this to work?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We need more info, what type of TV, 1080p or 720p? How Old? What brand of adapter did you purchase?

OP
G

Girevik

It's a Samsung TV, several years old. I'm not 100% sure if its 1080 or 720 (I'm guessing if it's 1080, it's probably 1080i rather than p, since I think 1080p is relatively new).

Here is the cable I bought. It says in the answered questions that it works with the Surface 3: Amazon.com: Cable Matters 101019-6 Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort Thunderbolt Compatible to HDTV Cable, 6 Feet - Black: Electronics

I just tracked down how to change the resolution on the Surface, so I'm trying to find info on what the TV supports.

One thing that seemed odd to me is that when I connect the cable the Surface recognizes the TV, but when I have it identify the monitors "1|2" flashes on the Surface like it's both displays.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's a Samsung TV, several years old. I'm not 100% sure if its 1080 or 720 (I'm guessing if it's 1080, it's probably 1080i rather than p, since I think 1080p is relatively new).

Here is the cable I bought. It says in the answered questions that it works with the Surface 3: Amazon.com: Cable Matters 101019-6 Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort Thunderbolt Compatible to HDTV Cable, 6 Feet - Black: Electronics

I just tracked down how to change the resolution on the Surface, so I'm trying to find info on what the TV supports.

One thing that seemed odd to me is that when I connect the cable the Surface recognizes the TV, but when I have it identify the monitors "1|2" flashes on the Surface like it's both displays.
Try to extend the monitor first, then lower the S3 to 1920x1080 (vs. the 1920x1200 native) then try to mirror the display. Also, you can try to reboot while plugged into the TV.

OP
G

Girevik

Well, crap. I found the documentation for the TV and it did say that it's resolution is 1920x1080, so I was pretty confident that would work but I'm still getting the same error. I'll have to try it on our newer TV when I get a chance, but I bought the cable specifically to use with this TV. I'll be really frustrated if I can't get it to connect.

I guess I didn't do things in the order you suggested (extend first), but after a few seconds of the "not supported" message it goes to "no signal". I have to turn off the sharing and then turn it back on to get the TV to recognize the Surface.

OP
G

Girevik

I think I confirmed it's a 1080 TV. Does that tell me anything I didn't already know or give any hints on what I might need to do? I still need to try to hook it to my other tv, but there was some football game on last night I got caught up in.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think I confirmed it's a 1080 TV. Does that tell me anything I didn't already know or give any hints on what I might need to do? I still need to try to hook it to my other tv, but there was some football game on last night I got caught up in.

If it doesn't work on another TV then its your adapter....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming I can't get this to work, do I have any other options to connect to an old-ish HDTV?
Does it have "PC" (VGA)? Some older 1080 monitors used HDMI 1.0 and newer machines can't negotiate HCDP handshakes, but using VGA allows it work...

OP
G

Girevik

Yes, it has both VGA and DVI ports. But that won't give me sound, right? I've have to do something to get sound.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it has both VGA and DVI ports. But that won't give me sound, right? I've have to do something to get sound.
You would run an Audio cable from the device to the Audio In Jack on the back of the TV, usually it is near the VGA Port. My old Toshiba TV required this route (CIRCA 2007).

OP
G

Girevik

I tried hooking it up to my (somewhat) newer TV also got unsupported mode. It's still a few years old but I'm surprised it won't work on either.

At this point I guess I'm sending the cable back, but I don't know if I should try a different HDMI cord, an HDMI adapter that would allow me to plug an HDMI into it, or some other approach.

Has anyone found something that works?