What's new

email address for student discount still mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saul

Anyone know if MS has removed this yet???

Student discount (10%) for Apple products has been done for many years, & there's been no 'proof' required for much of that time. I & most savvy folks I know have taken advantage of it despite not being students, OR not being students at the time we did another upgrade.

It's just another hook, Apple knows that, they know very well that savvy users are sometimes abusing it but they couldn't care less, so long as it means another person takes the hook, surely MS has realised this truth by now?

Thank-you.

OP
S

Saul

Your view is we should only follow rules and laws we like and abuse everything else, very sad.

Bzzt wrong, Apple's discount is deliberately not enforced, it's a guerrilla marketing ploy to make people think they're getting that little bit extra through being better informed/clever, there's zero effort made to prove student status.

Predicable smart-ass/high-horse response though, well done for meeting that quota, always gunna happen on the internetz.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rather shows how overpriced apple products are if they are happy to give anyone a 10% discount just because they ask for it :D

If it "makes" peple think they're getting a bit extra, then they're not actually getting a bit extra. With MS when they give you a discount you ARE getting a little extra :) hence why it's enforced.

Why not just stick with apple and their wonderful marketing ploys. (ploys are typically used to rope in suckers)

OP
S

Saul

hughlle said:
I never had to have a university email to get my discount.

Can you please elaborate. Are you referring to the scholastic discount available via the MS store??

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you please elaborate. Are you referring to the scholastic discount available via the MS store?

I didn't have a university or student email. I got the education discount of 10%, bought through the online microsoft student store. Maybe you're just not as tech-savy as you think :lol:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rather shows how overpriced apple products are if they are happy to give anyone a 10% discount just because they ask for it :D

If it "makes" peple think they're getting a bit extra, then they're not actually getting a bit extra. With MS when they give you a discount you ARE getting a little extra :) hence why it's enforced.

Why not just stick with apple and their wonderful marketing ploys. (ploys are typically used to rope in suckers)
This and despite aggressive stock buy backs and dividends they still have north of 150 billion in cash, most parked offshore to avoid US taxes.

OP
S

Saul

hughlle said:
I didn't have a university or student email. I got the education discount of 10%, bought through the online microsoft student store. Maybe you're just not as tech-savy as you think :lol:

Okay, so how did you go about this, exactly?

Thank-you.

Last edited:
OP
S

Saul

hughlle said:
Rather shows how overpriced apple products are if they are happy to give anyone a 10% discount just because they ask for it:D If it "makes" peple think they're getting a bit extra, then they're not actually getting a bit extra. With MS when they give you a discount you ARE getting a little extra :) hence why it's enforced.

Oh nonsense, a discount is a discount is a discount, last I checked they were the same %. Sure you might be starting at a higher price-point for one, or same but less (perceived) value overall. But that's besides the point, I didn't start this thread to argue: Apple's UP's are better value than the SP3. You (seemingly) want in on that one, but it's completely off-topic to what I'm asking, nice try though.

So, not making sense here, on one hand you seem to be saying it's possible to get the discount, on the other (here) you're saying it's not, which is it? Or can I expect more asinine commentary, based on the assumption that I'm a rabid Apple fanboy that needs a good walloping? ;)

You seem to be operating on the assumption that I only ever use Apple products, that's odd.
What a really friendly reception I am getting from you here, very warm indeed...

*UPDATE*
I see you've conveniently deleted all your -edited- posts, making it harder to understand the full progression of this thread in it's early stages. Luckily I have most of them on record in my posts, just needed to remove the post ref. no. in my quotes of your posts, & then your disappearing quotes re-appeared, nice try but no cigar ;) Alas I can't do much about others who quoted you whose posts make no sense now, or sections of your posts edited later that I didn't quote, but most of it's now captured for posterity.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Anyone know if MS has removed this yet???

Student discount (10%) for Apple products has been done for many years, & there's been no 'proof' required for much of that time. I & most savvy folks I know have taken advantage of it despite not being students, OR not being students at the time we did another upgrade.

It's just another hook, Apple knows that, they know very well that savvy users are sometimes abusing it but they couldn't care less, so long as it means another person takes the hook, surely MS has realised this truth by now?

Thank-you.
Apple requires a valid student ID in order to receive any discount at their retail stores. They require you to select the school you attend when purchasing online. I do not believe that Apple has intentionally given anyone a loophole to receive a 10% discount.

If there are those circumventing the system so be it. We at Surface Forums do not condone this behavior, nor will we allow this to turn into an Apple or MS bashing. Thanks for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.