What's new

Firmware Update 5/19/15 still waiting

JeffBusse

Has everyone else received this update, I keep checking but it never comes. I have a push2tv that worked well before the 1/15 update and I'm hoping this will fix what the last one broke.

benjitek

I did -- the previous build trashed my SP2, so I reset to a clean install of Windows 8.1, then the 5/19 firmware update came through during the 100's of other updates. Was feeling bold when build 10130 came out, so I upgraded again. Now I have a firmware update from 5/14/15 that repeatedly installs -- 4 times 'successfully' so far o_O

GoodBytes

For Windows 10, the problem is the iNtel drivers not installing that is part of the firmware.

Get the drivers from Microsoft website:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826
Click on download, and select: SurfacePro2_150519.zip

1- Extract all files.
2- Look for Intel integrated drivers folder. You will find 64cc4170.inf
3- Open it with Notepad, scroll down to "Windows 8.1 Install" section (you'll notice it in a box of text), You'll find: [IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.3]. Change that to [IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.4], save and close. This changes the version of Windows from Windows 8 to 10.
4- Delete the .cat file found in the folder. This is the driver signature. You need to delete it, because we modified the inf file, so the signature wont' be matching.
5- To to Settings (Start > Settings) panel, go to Update & Security, then on Recovery, then under Advance startup, click on Restart Now. Windows will now restart and show a blue menu screen. Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart. Once Windows restart you'll be brought to a menu. You need a keyboard connected to the device physically for this. Hit option 7, by hitting the key "7" on your keyboard. That option is to start WIndows, this once only, with driver sigmature disabled. This is needed to install the intel drivers which have the missing isgnature file (as it is missing, as we delete it).

6- Once back in Windows 10, open Device Maneger, go to Display adapter, double click on the Intel integrated graphics, go under the Driver tab, click on Uninstall and check teh box to delete the drivers. Windows will ask you to restart your system, don't. Close the panel if it is still open to return back to Device Manager main window, and click on the tool bar: Scan for hardware changes button. Windows will scan our system and install some basic drivers. Once it is done, Windows may ask you to restart your computer. Don't once more.
Double click on the baisc display adapter entry, and go to the Driver tab once again. Click on Update Drivers... button

7- A wizard iwll popup. Click on Browse my computer for driver software command button, then on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" command button. Then click on Have Disk button, click on the Browse button and go to where you have extracted the drivers, and select the 64cc4170.inf file. Then click on Intel drivers in the list if it shows up, and click on Next. It will finally install the drivers.

8- Once done, now you can restart your system.

9- Now if you check for update the System hardware upgrade will show up again, that is fine, let it install. Restart, check again for the update, if it shows up again, allow it to install one last time, and now it should not show up anymore.

To fix the lack of colors and dynamic contrast ratio, see this post:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...urface-pro-2-release.8219/page-15#post-126393