What's new

Has the surface totally replaced your tablet?

TheJokker

Of course it has replaced my tablets. All the issues of concern you list are insignificant. I find the quality of the apps superior to the apps it replaced on my tablets. I "never" think about the size and weight or cooling or fan noise. It is superior for web-browsing and I have never run out of juice either at home or traveling.

A powerful sports bike will always be superior to a cute little moped and a surface will always be superior to a cute little tablet.

"ALWAYS"...

zhenya

Please list for us all these apps that are superior to their counterparts on iOS or Android.

Oh, btw, the Surface is still a minivan to the sports bike that is the latest ipad...

RémiM

Please list for us all these apps that are superior to their counterparts on iOS or Android.

Well, this is a very easy question to answer to: everything is much better with the SP3 since it's a computer with full Windows. You basically don't need any (stupid) app (coded in a proprietary language). It's not an underperforming device that needs apps to fill the lack of versatility/power/capabilities of its OS/web browser.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oh, btw, the Surface is still a minivan to the sports bike that is the latest ipad...
It all depends on your criteria ... A sports bike is only useful for sports biking by one individual, a minivan can carry the whole team and their equipment. Single purpose vs Versatility, most people will buy a minivan vs a sports bike.

zhenya

Well, this is a very easy question to answer to: everything is much better with the SP3 since it's a computer with full Windows. You basically don't need any (stupid) app (coded in a proprietary language). It's not an underperforming device that needs apps to fill the lack of versatility/power/capabilities of its OS/web browser.

This is an extremely simplistic viewpoint of the benefit of apps. Without an app, your 'much better' computer can't even do a simple thing like stream music to a Bluetooth speaker on battery without interruption. There are plenty of other places where app performance is better. It's no coincidence that all the money in development has moved back away from the promise of 'universal' web apps to dedicated code in the last couple of years.

zhenya

An iPad might be a "sport bike" in term of weight and size, but in term of engine, it's a moped.

For most things that people want to do with a tablet day in and day out, the performance on the iPad is equivalent if not superior to that on the SP because of the extreme optimization of hardware and software. And it can do so without large and unexpected swings in battery life.

TheJokker

no way...

An iPad is extremely limited to what it can do by it's cpu which has a fraction of the power of an intel processor. It's not even close... It can't even handle Flash without choking and coughing.

Last edited:

zhenya

Flash, talk about a piece of poorly optimized software. There is a reason it has become nearly obsolete. You only need all that cpu power to browse the web when you try to run crap software like that.

TheJokker

It all depends on your criteria ... A sports bike is only useful for sports biking by one individual, a minivan can carry the whole team and their equipment. Single purpose vs Versatility, most people will buy a minivan vs a sports bike.
The analogy is referring to two-wheeled vehicles. If you want to extend the analogy to four wheeled vehicles than a surface is high performance SUV while an iPad is a Smart (sic) car...

RémiM

Without an app, your 'much better' computer can't even do a simple thing like stream music to a Bluetooth speaker on battery without interruption.

We must live in a different world then. Spotify program downloaded with IE11 + bluetooth speaker + power settings on "never sleep"= I stream music without any problem until my battery is dead. Another benefit of using IE11 + Spotify: I can listen to full albums without the "shuffle option" that forces you to pay if you use the free Spotify account + the Spotify app on your iPad.

Now can you tell me what happens if you listen to a music playlist on your Youtube app and if you try to, let's say, do something else at the same time ? If you don't run out of RAM before, the Youtube app stops and so does your music. Because with apps, you can't do 2 things at the same time.

With my SP3 I can have IE11 running the playlist on the background and edit documents, read my emails and even launch Spotify and Youtube simultaneously ('cause I am not limited by 1 gig of RAM).

You are right. My SP3 is "much better".

zhenya

We must live in a different world then. Spotify program downloaded with IE11 + bluetooth speaker + power settings on "never sleep"= I stream music without any problem until my battery is dead. Another benefit of using IE11 + Spotify: I can listen to full albums without the "shuffle option" that forces you to pay if you use the free Spotify account + the Spotify App on your iPad.

Now can you tell me what happens if you listen to a music playlist on your Youtube app and if you try to, let's say, do something else at the same time ? If you don't run out of RAM before, the Youtube app stops and so does your music. Because with apps, you can't do 2 things at the same time.

With my SP3 I can have IE11 running the playlist on the background and edit documents, read my emails and even launch Spotify and Youtube simultaneously ('cause I am not limited by 1 gig of RAM).

You are right. My SP3 is "much better".

Yes, I know if I change my power settings each time I'd like to listen to some music, it works. Very convenient. Not to mention what that does to the battery life. An iPad can stream music for days on the battery because it can do so in its lowest power mode. Again, that 'heavily optimized' thing.

There is no reason that Google can't allow Youtube to play in the background. That is a limitation they are choosing to enforce, rather than one dictated by the platform. Further, there are multiple ways around it, from using the web browser to any number of 3rd party apps.