What's new

Heat Problem?

I have thought my Surface was a little warm. (I just got it Monday night!) And I could always hear the fan running. I mean most of the time the fan was running. I figured it was because it was doing all the updates and downloads?

Tonight I was reading a magazine in the Nook App and it shut itself down. When I clicked the on power button I got a black screen with a white thermometer icon.

What just happened? I guess I call MS Tech Support?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It does sound like it over-heated, what have you installed? Also I warm is it where you are at?

OP
L

LadyRaider

I have just been downloading what was on my Surface RT. I was trying to get my origin games downloaded but that wasn't cooperating. I just went and did the waiting update and now it's quiet. It's weird to not hear the fan running. It's cool enough in my house. 72 degrees.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Firmware helped with the Thermal Issue, keep an eye on for a day or so, if it overheats again exchange it...

ctitanic

I have thought my Surface was a little warm. (I just got it Monday night!) And I could always hear the fan running. I mean most of the time the fan was running. I figured it was because it was doing all the updates and downloads?

Tonight I was reading a magazine in the Nook App and it shut itself down. When I clicked the on power button I got a black screen with a white thermometer icon.

What just happened? I guess I call MS Tech Support?
You may got a process stuck running in background. I found yesterday that the Facebook App was constantly crashing even when I never use it. So I uninstalled. Now I'm getting better battery while in standby.

kristalsoldier

It could also be the SP3 is indexing stuff. As Jeff says, give it a day. It should settle down - else, return!

On another note, so, you finally did buy the SP3 (as an upgrade to the Surface 2)! Good for you! But did you also buy a bigger bag/ purse?

ipaq_101

I just swapped out my SP3 for another one for a cosmetic issue, the one I swapped always ran hot, fan would come on more often than not, I thought it was normal based on all the comments on the forum. After getting a replacement SP3, the fan rarely turns on, yesterday I was updating via windows update, installing programs, and playing MyVegas Slots on Facebook and the fan didn't turn on. On the old SP3 MyVegasSlots on Facebook alone would heat the entire computer up and turn the fan on high speed.

Went in for a cosmetic fix, but I think I had a dud to begin with, glad the new unit is behaving.

OP
L

LadyRaider

It could also be the SP3 is indexing stuff. As Jeff says, give it a day. It should settle down - else, return!

On another note, so, you finally did buy the SP3 (as an upgrade to the Surface 2)! Good for you! But did you also buy a bigger bag/ purse?
Yes, my little Surface RT is reset and boxed up for... I don't know what I'll do with it.

Hah. I have not bought a bigger bag yet!

OP
L

LadyRaider

Which model of the SP3 did you get?

I got the i5, 128gb. And yes it is a dream to hold when you are sitting on the couch. I was playing microsoft suduko last night and it was really comfortable.

And the pen is such a dream. I was kidding myself, deluding myself that using a capacitive stylus on my RT was "just as good." Ridiculous. I needed my head examined.

ctitanic

I got the i5, 128gb. And yes it is a dream to hold when you are sitting on the couch. I was playing microsoft suduko last night and it was really comfortable.

And the pen is such a dream. I was kidding myself, deluding myself that using a capacitive stylus on my RT was "just as good." Ridiculous. I needed my head examined.
I owned the RT and the 2. But I missed the Pen a lot. The PRO and the PRO2 just did not caused me a good impression but when I saw the pro 3 it was like something hitting me in the head. So I traded in my Surface 2 for the Pro 3 at BestBuy. And I'm glad that I did it. Once MS fixes the drivers issues this will be a wonderful device, even now it's a wonderful device!

kristalsoldier

I got the same version too! I like the device a lot. Coming from a Surface 2 RT, sometimes I forget that I am using a i5 device!