What's new

How to get BitLocker key

churin

I encountered BitLocker recovery mode. I did not have any recovery info asked for. I went to the MS website suggested and logged in to my account but was told no recovery info was available.
I have reset the machine now and it is working again. But I still need the BitLocker key in case it is asked for again. How can I get it?

Last edited:
They do not have it as I indicated in my thread starter post and I checked again after resetting the machine.
Again, are you using a local account or Microsoft Account? If it is a local account it is stored locally if it is a Microsoft Account it is stored on your OneDrive....

They do not have it as I indicated in my thread starter post and I checked again after resetting the machine.

Are you able to get to it this way?

From the Desktop, hold down the Windows key and tap X

Control Panel> Bitlocker Drive Encryption, Manage BitLocker, Then you should see the option to Back up Your Recovery Key.

BL.jpg

Let me provide what has been done with the machine since purchased four days ago:
First thing was that I created a local account, switched to that account and proceeded to do as follows: I installed a third party software to get the start button and changed the Windows wall paper. Then I attempted to resize the OS partition by using a third party utility but could not. I thought it was because of TPM or/and Secure Boot Control so that I disabled them. It appeared to me that that caused the the recovery mode situation. I reset the machine and I could resize the OS partition and created data partitions. I enabled the TPM and Secure Boot Control. That's all I have done so far. (Between resetting and resizing partition the same things originally done as above were done again)

C drive BitLocker is not turned on as shown below so it must be turned off by default. Does this mean the recovery mode has nothing to do with BitLocker? I am confused.
BITL.jpg

Last edited:
Did I encounter the recovery mode because I disabled the TPM and the Secure Boot Control?
Where is the information asked for in the Recovery mode situation?

I encountered BitLocker recovery mode. I did not have any recovery info asked for. I went to the MS website suggested and logged in to my account but was told no recovery info was available.
I have reset the machine now and it is working again. But I still need the BitLocker key in case it is asked for again. How can I get it?

How were you able to reset from the bitlocker mode.

Latest posts

Back