What's new

How to Replace LCD Glass Screen on Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Take Apart

surfdock

Cool! Thanks for posting. Looks like replacement screens are about $90-$350 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...RS0&_nkw=surface+pro+3+lcd+screen+replacement

And looks like there are several versions of the screen so you need to open your tablet and verify which one it has before ordering the replacement. Anyone know if there is a way to tell which version of the screen you have without opening the tablet? Perhaps by serial number or build date?

Last edited:

Johnny365

At this point, if your screen breaks. I'd go all out and upgrade the SSD to whatever amount you can afford. But I'm not going to purposely break my screen just to upgrade :D

Johnny365

Replacing the screen doesn't seem too difficult. Coming from someone who previously (successfully) replaced a cracked iPhone 5S screen/digitizer, which you have to transfer all the original components to the replacement part. Front camera sensor, light sensor, home button, etc.

malberttoo

Replacing the screen doesn't seem too difficult. Coming from someone who previously (successfully) replaced a cracked iPhone 5S screen/digitizer, which you have to transfer all the original components to the replacement part. Front camera sensor, light sensor, home button, etc.

I think the only danger/difficulty, is that the SP3 screen is not really made to removed, it is heavily glued with some serious adhesive. So if your screen is already damaged then yeah, you're good to go probably.

Ford Prefect

a few things of concern, mostly the way he digs into it with that nice wide conductive spatula.

Calling it an iPad with no self awareness raised some questions in my mind. (@~7:58)

I guess in a year or two, after all Complete has expired I might try this were mine to be broken. From what I can tell it currently costs about as much for the screen assembly as it would to just send it to MS for a refurb swap.