What's new

I love sitting next to folks with iPads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmee

I've had my sp2 since mid January and it has been just shy of flawless. a minor issue with battery charging and pen operation but I resolved those issues within an hour of noticing them thanks to some timely help from the members of this forum.

I do have tremendous sympathy for those experiencing constant sp2 problems as the price tag for these wonderful tools is too steep to make its owner feel like a beta tester. but I have to question just how pervasive these flaws are. owners of sp2's that work well are not likely to write a msg to complain about it. if they are like me, they will occasionally skim through forums like this and move on with their routines. So while we can observe and count how many are having issues with the sp2, we really can't say, proportionally speaking, as to how pervasive these issues actually are.

Yeah it's possible that I've got a lemon here, but for me to get a broken Surface, broken keyboard and then an advanced exchanged broken Surface for a second time? Seems rather unlikely to me.

As a typically OS X user I thought what I'd hate about the Surface most was Windows. On a touch screen though, Windows blows every other platform I've used out of the water. It's fantastic and coupled with OneNote I'd say it's the best experience I've ever had for note taking. From my perspective Microsoft completely nailed all the big challenges and adding in all the big features to the Surface, but they've overlooked the little things, resulting in many minor and annoying bugs. I am certainly happy to use the Surface and try to navigate through the bugs I'm facing although I can't say I would recommend the device to anyone else because a lot of my friends/family wouldn't want to invest substantial time getting the device to work. I will continue to use Windows tablets until Apple smartens the hell up and transforms the 11" MacBook air into a convertible, although next time I think I'll go for a Lenovo. I respect that Microsoft is new to selling their own hardware, but next time I'd prefer to be an end user, not a $1500 buy-in beta tester :p.

CrippsCorner

I see you changed your signature... very good
excited.png

Deckyon

I have both (now.) I have had an iPad since they were released. I got it for my commute to and from work. I wanted a device I could surf on and watch movies (I have an extensive collection already). I saw the iPad as the perfect device - and for me it is. I have the iPad 3 now, and that Air is nipping at my heals, but waiting until next release. I have my iTunes set with over 600 episodes of shows and just short of 500 movies. All sitting on a HDD at home next to my MacMini - my media center serving all my devices including MBP, 2 Apple TVs, iPhone and iPad. I installed Plex and now it supports my new Surface.

I got the Surface Pro 2 w/ 256gb last night and got it mostly configured. I can see it sitting along side my iPad wherever I go. Remember, the iPad was never meant to be a computer replacement, it was meant to augment the computing experience. I do think that the Surface Pro 2 (and not the previous version) is a laptop replacement. Now, I just need a good image editor.

macmee

I have both (now.) I have had an iPad since they were released. I got it for my commute to and from work. I wanted a device I could surf on and watch movies (I have an extensive collection already). I saw the iPad as the perfect device - and for me it is. I have the iPad 3 now, and that Air is nipping at my heals, but waiting until next release. I have my iTunes set with over 600 episodes of shows and just short of 500 movies. All sitting on a HDD at home next to my MacMini - my media center serving all my devices including MBP, 2 Apple TVs, iPhone and iPad. I installed Plex and now it supports my new Surface.

I got the Surface Pro 2 w/ 256gb last night and got it mostly configured. I can see it sitting along side my iPad wherever I go. Remember, the iPad was never meant to be a computer replacement, it was meant to augment the computing experience. I do think that the Surface Pro 2 (and not the previous version) is a laptop replacement. Now, I just need a good image editor.

I'm in a similar boat, the only difference is I've had quite a lot of bugs with my Surface.

That's why I again think this thread is stupid. The Surface isn't officially better than the iPad, just like the iPad isn't officially better than the Surface. I can't take my Surface to my room, hold it in one hand and read a book on it, but at the same time, I can't run Emacs or a full browser on my iPad.

CrippsCorner

Still don't get why people watch movies on a tablet or smartphone! TV in my room is 26" and I consider that almost too small to really get integrated into the experience and truly captivated. TV shows I kind of get, and I have in fact watched a few... but only reality shows where it's more or less through away and I'm not bothered if I miss a bit.

Can't wait to get my own pad and deck it out with at least a 46" TV :)

Deckyon

For me it is very simple - I cant bring my 65" TV with me while I commute to and from work. Same while on a plane, or in the car (not driving). It is the whole "out and about" portability and ability.

kundas1

Still don't get why people watch movies on a tablet or smartphone! TV in my room is 26" and I consider that almost too small to really get integrated into the experience and truly captivated. TV shows I kind of get, and I have in fact watched a few... but only reality shows where it's more or less through away and I'm not bothered if I miss a bit.

Can't wait to get my own pad and deck it out with at least a 46" TV :)

seriously I never get posts like this, having a tablet isn't about the 46" experience I have a desktop computer for that, its for portability and watching movies while mobile is what it's about, and watching movies on the Surface is a joy to do with no problems whatsoever, perhaps maybe you should get your eyes checked? so I totally agree with Deckyon also when I wanna watch a tv show in bed without disturbing anyone else is also a joy to do on the Surface...

Deckyon

Guess he missed the part about the 2 Apple TVs I have hooked up and stream from my MacMini w/ iTunes.

TheJokker

I'm in a similar boat, the only difference is I've had quite a lot of bugs with my Surface.

That's why I again think this thread is stupid. The Surface isn't officially better than the iPad, just like the iPad isn't officially better than the Surface. I can't take my Surface to my room, hold it in one hand and read a book on it, but at the same time, I can't run Emacs or a full browser on my iPad.
A Surface is like a fine musical instrument. In the hands of a talented musician it can produce wonderful things. In the hands of an amateur; not so much. I have a strong suspicion your problems are rooted in a lack of expertise. If you are unwilling to acquire that expertise perhaps you should go back to your iPad and spare us your annoying comments. FYI: I can hold my Surface in one hand...

kristalsoldier

A Surface is like a fine musical instrument. In the hands of a talented musician it can produce wonderful things. In the hands of an amateur; not so much. I have a strong suspicion your problems are rooted in a lack of expertise. If you are unwilling to acquire that expertise perhaps you should go back to your iPad and spare us your annoying comments. FYI: I can hold my Surface in one hand...

While I can appreciate the sentiment, I suspect, MS would be dismayed to learn of this. Why? Because, I think - and with specific reference to the Surface 2 - they would indeed like it to be a device that is "wildly popular" (like the iPad, for instance!) and not simply the preserve of "talented people".

That said, I own and use a Surface 2. In fact, I use the device everyday for over 8 hours per day. Recently, I was on an extended visit overseas and took my Surface 2 as my primary machine (though I did also take the iPad, but that I only use for reading - its a question of aspect ratios for me!) and it worked brilliantly. This is the second time I have done this and during the 15 days or so (cumulatively) that I have used the Surface on the road, I really really pushed it and it delivered brilliantly! And, I am no talented user!

Of course, the point of contention here is about the Surface Pro (I think), which is a completely different class of device.

Perhaps macmee does play the same record a bit, but that's only because his device is well and truly borked. I really don't think it's an expertise thing - the Surface is very easy to get used to with very little research, and its only since purchasing my SP2 that I have become so involved in researching how best to use the device.

Sometimes it's a user thing, but in macmee's case I think his device is just borked, plain and simple.

macmee

Light leaks and dysfunctional keyboards, and the fairly common sleep BSOD bug all have NOTHING to do with who is using the device.

You can take your completely baseless "strong suspicion" and shove it up your ass. If you had my device you'd be angry too.

Status
Not open for further replies.