What's new

i7 appears to be shipping

megatronium

My Amex was authorized at 11 AM today....with the I5 preorder the tracking information was posted same day credit card was authorized :)

If the tracking info is posted tomorrow, we will get them Thursday! UPS Next day Air is how the keyboard shipped!

be77solo

My credit card was hit today as well by the Microsoft Store, hoping it arrives Friday!

I've got my i5 SP3 until early next week (45 day Best Buy return policy), so I will be doing heavy direct comparisons all weekend if it shows up this week.

Very curious to see how they compare directly as I try and decide which one to keep. If the i5 version did not throttle so badly I never would have ordered the i7 but curious to see if there are any improvements. No idea if it will be better or worse at this point after using the i5 for a month.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will be interested in your assessment. Though to be completely honest I wish I hadn't read this forum as I'm pretty sure if I hadn't I'd have been perfectly fine with my new surface when I get it and blissfully unaware of any throttling since it will easily beat my old Dell that it'll be replacing....

Last edited:

be77solo

Will be interested in your assessment. Though to be completely honest Iv wish I hadn't read this forum as I'm pretty sure if I hadn't I'd have been perfectly fine with my new surface when I get our and blissfully unaware of any throttling since it will easily best my old Dell that it'll be replacing....
If I didn't have both a SP1 and SP2, I wouldn't have really had much to compare to either so would have just assumed that's the best it can be.... but, after enjoying the previous versions daily with great performance across the board, the SP3 i5 was just a let down for my usage requirements.

Will report back when it arrives.

Having said that, the SP3 is still a great machine!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we have to remember that the machine still had to obey the laws of physics and squeezing the device to the thinness of an iPhone 4(ish) is no mean feat. There is a law of diminishing returns with upgrades too i.e. the more you pay generally the more incremental and less significant the upgrade lol.

Kif

I'm excited for you guys and good job waiting it out of the i7's. I personally don't have the patients. :eek:

Deryl McCarty

Ahh, how can anyone in their right mind be happy about a $1600+ charge on their VISA. Well, I can be. I am not in my right mind because I can't wait for my SP3 i7/256 to arrive Thurs or Fri. I Pre-ordered 21 May, but I plan to keep my SP2 and use it for at least several months. It has never failed me. OTOH, I can continue to use the SP2 for daily use and use the SP3 to warm up my wife's cold shoulder since I may have forgotten to tell her that there was a $1600 purchase pending.

fonzman78

My credit card was hit today as well by the Microsoft Store, hoping it arrives Friday!

I've got my i5 SP3 until early next week (45 day Best Buy return policy), so I will be doing heavy direct comparisons all weekend if it shows up this week.

Very curious to see how they compare directly as I try and decide which one to keep. If the i5 version did not throttle so badly I never would have ordered the i7 but curious to see if there are any improvements. No idea if it will be better or worse at this point after using the i5 for a month.

Yes, I'm in the same boat with 45 day return period. I suppose I can just go buy one on the 1st if they have them available. I'm very interested in your testing so please post ASAP. Thanks.

bluegrass

I read a lot on this forum about the SP3's CPU being throttled. Where is everyone seeing that the CPU is being throttled and can you see how much. I would assume you might view the throttling somewhere in the Task Manager, perhaps in the Performance tab somewhere. Since I turned my SP3 i5 in to order an i7, I won't be able to look at how much the CPU was throttled but if someone can tell me where to look at throttling, I will check it out when I get my SP3 i7 and report the data somewhere here on this forum. thx