What's new

iPad 2 --> Surface 2 ...looking for tips for a good transition!

oion

Well, I just meant every phone has GPS--so it should be easy to include. I actually like the GPS in my iPad because it automatically does things like find the theaters close to me without needing input. Personally, my phone doesn't have a good GPS on it, so it's more important to me in a tablet. But again, as I'm shifting my thinking about how I'll use the Surface, I'm seeing how it'll replace my laptop more than my iPad...and by the time the Surface 3 comes out with LTE and a GPS, I can get rid of everything for that if I like it enough.

Believe me when I say I'm ready to leave the "closed" Apple ecosystem behind. I appreciate that everything just "works" in that ecosystem (for the most part), but there's so much more I want to be able to do--like use a full version of Word--that I think the Surface will excel at (no pun intended).

Yeah, the Surface isn't a phone. :) My phone does have good GPS, so I don't see the point in having both, especially when I don't want to add-on or buy another data plan beyond my phone. Product development is not centered around "how easy is it to add this," by the way; that's no different than a non-programmer claiming it should be "super easy to add this feature or fix that bug." The business decision-making for a device like Surface would include things like component cost, power load, and other things. Like you said, all smartphones have it, and pretty much everyone has a smartphone, so why should MS have added it? Isn't the wifi version of iPad more popular? Holistically, looking at overall pricing, if MS added LTE and raised the cost, the fact that the keyboard is a "required accessory" would be even less palatable than it is now (and keyboard >>> LTE in terms of Surface functionality, hands down :p).

Now that MS bought Nokia, I'm sure that tech will be added later on, but it's possible it won't be in a full-sized Surface device but a smaller one if/when MS rolls together the Win Phone and WinRT systems. It would make more sense in a "mini" phablet form factor.

I can shift with that...but can you install extensions, such as LastPass?

Extensions cannot be installed with IE11 (that's right, I forgot--no Java, no extensions), however you will want to enable the Tracking Protection Lists to block ads.

Last edited:

rubaxter

I have a Surface 2 on the way and am very excited! I've been using an iPad 2 for two years and am looking forward to trying Microsoft's tablet.

Here's how I use my iPad:

3) Music--All my music is in iTunes and I want to keep it there. Given that, what's the best way to sync it with the Surface 2?
6) GPS--I assume I can get a good GPS on the Surface 2?

Would love to hear your experiences, any tips and tricks you like, etc, that can help me set up and be successful faster.

Others have covered the rest, and I would rather rely on the phone for GPS.

As to music, the Surface acts like a normal computer and not a media utensil; it doesn't need an interface like iTunes. If you have a program to set file tags, the applications on the Surface2 will find the files where you store them and group/associate them. You just use the normal network share to move files around from where they are to where you want them to be. You can use the Library feature to group multimedia files together, and the apps will use the Library to find files, in my experience.

Now, if anyone has a good graphics-based tag maintenance program for a desktop/laptop, I'd like to hear about it. I'm using MP3Tag, right now.

I keep iTunes around for my iPods, but that's only because I have to.

BTW, be careful with adding media players from the MS Store. Sometimes it seems like 2/3rds of the apps there are ripoffs of Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player which are named and icon'ed to look like the originals; they charge an arm and leg, but aren't The Real Things...

beman39

BTW, be careful with adding media players from the MS Store. Sometimes it seems like 2/3rds of the apps there are ripoffs of Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player which are named and icon'ed to look like the originals; they charge an arm and leg, but aren't The Real Things...

yea I've noticed that, what a joke! bunch of con artists lol

rubaxter

The Xbox music and video apps work well enough, but I'm looking forward to VLC Media Player to make it into the store. Considering how much work they put into it, I'm willing to pay a premium.... but it's open source so they probably won't charge for it.

VLC for the new Windows 8 User Experience ("Metro") by VideoLAN ? Kickstarter

VLC is one of the select few applications I've been willing to donate to because it just get the job done and does what you ask it (almost without complications).

Look forward to a Surface 2 compatible app, and I'd be willing to donate more if it was in the offing...

Others have covered the rest, and I would rather rely on the phone for GPS.

As to music, the Surface acts like a normal computer and not a media utensil; it doesn't need an interface like iTunes. If you have a program to set file tags, the applications on the Surface2 will find the files where you store them and group/associate them. You just use the normal network share to move files around from where they are to where you want them to be. You can use the Library feature to group multimedia files together, and the apps will use the Library to find files, in my experience.

Now, if anyone has a good graphics-based tag maintenance program for a desktop/laptop, I'd like to hear about it. I'm using MP3Tag, right now.

I keep iTunes around for my iPods, but that's only because I have to.

MP3Tag is my go to app. I've used it for years. I still use it even though my main computer is a Macbook Pro. It has been so helpful in keeping my tags straight that I donated some money to the developer. Back at the release of Zune 2.0 tags had to be absolutely perfect for things to work correctly.

EMINENT

There is a Last Pass app. It works pretty well. Then only thing when using it is it uses it's own built in browser when I prefer IE11.

You can copy and paste your credentials if you want to. I even tried the bookmarkets for a minute. In the end, I just started saving all my passwords for sites I frequent in IE. Makes it so easy.

Don't forget the free 200gb of Skydrive. I have all my music and files on there serving any pc/device at any minute. XBox's web player actually lets you listen to 10gb of free music per month. You can set it to play in the background so you can use full screen apps if you want to.

Last edited:

Agave Azul

:shocked: No GPS?! Seriously, that's a major oversight. Every phone has GPS. Why would they leave that out? That means no location-based anything...and I'll have to keep my iPad around when I need an in-car GPS. Geesh!

Regarding the GPS or LTE, first thought comes to mind is when driving.
I'm not one who wants to be holding my SP2 looking at maps, locations, etc while on the go.

Although I own an i5 cell, I prefer handling mobile tasks using this form.
The cell is smaller, something I would be more intended to use in most situations.

I have my SP2 in font of me or beside me, and can quickly glance over at my cell with those certain necessary apps or pages open.

However, I am very open to having my Surface including the GPS &/or LTE.
More thoughts regarding this?

Last edited:
OP
JuryDuty

JuryDuty

There is a Last Pass app. It works pretty well. Then only thing when using it is it uses it's own built in browser when I prefer IE11.

You can copy and paste your credentials if you want to. I even tried the bookmarkets for a minute. In the end, I just started saving all my passwords for sites I frequent in IE. Makes it so easy.

Don't forget the free 200gb of Skydrive. I have all my music and files on there serving any pc/device at any minute. XBox's web player actually lets you listed to 10gb of free music per month. You can set it to play in the background so you can use full screen apps if you want to.

The LastPass app should work--I just like having a quick way to find my passwords and copy/paste them.

Right! 200GB of Skydrive. So...I currently use SugarSync to sync my docs between computers. I already have 25GB on Skydrive.

First of all, will this then give me 255GB on SkyDrive?
Second, is there an easy way to make SkyDrive sync all my documents and pictures without changing my documents and pictures folders, etc?

Regarding the GPS or LTE, first thought comes to mind is when driving.
I'm not one who wants to be holding my SP2 looking at maps, locations, etc while on the go.

I currently mount my iPad. Like having the big display. :)

EMINENT

The LastPass app should work--I just like having a quick way to find my passwords and copy/paste them.

Right! 200GB of Skydrive. So...I currently use SugarSync to sync my docs between computers. I already have 25GB on Skydrive.

First of all, will this then give me 255GB on SkyDrive?
Second, is there an easy way to make SkyDrive sync all my documents and pictures without changing my documents and pictures folders, etc?

I currently mount my iPad. Like having the big display. :)

Huh? Skydrive is baked in. What I did was copy all my folders to Skydrive. I now use it as my sole save directory. It's there on my pc and Surface whenever I want it. As long as I have internet access. That's why I went with the 32gb model. I don't need gb's of stuff locally.

fastfed

I have ZERO desire to have LTE on my tablet.. I HAVE A PHONE FOR THAT!! I simply tether and done!

I would like gps though, I don't know what the big deal was to allow a usb gps dongle to work with the surface