What's new

Is this a Manufacturing Defect?

jonypx09

I've attached three images of the top-left corner of my Surface Pro 3; there appears to be some slight separation between the frame and the glass. I'm using a sleeve as well; this is my second replacement; I purchased my original unit back in September. Should I return this unit for another one?

Attachments

• IMG_20150112_115429.jpg
    IMG_20150112_115429.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20150112_115453.jpg
    IMG_20150112_115453.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20150112_115619.jpg
    IMG_20150112_115619.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 609

RémiM

Is there any scratch on the edge, like if someone tried to bend/separate the frame from the screen with a tool (screw driver) that left a scratch ?

To me, this is a weird defect.

PS: this is exactly why I try not to read the topics about defects or problems (cf. the other topic "Defect on my new SP3"). Then you look at your SP3 to check if you have the defect, and you realize you have something that you never saw before. And it drives you nuts.

OP
J

jonypx09

yes return it.

I'm going to hold on to it for a few more months because this unit appears to be working flawlessly. I spoke to someone on the phone and she said some of the replacements are from the factory, while others are returned and inspected. The defect on this one is not that big of a deal. This unit in particular is brand new, fresh out of the factory.

OP
J

jonypx09

Is there any scratch on the edge, like if someone tried to bend/separate the frame from the screen with a tool (screw driver) that left a scratch ?

To me, this is a weird defect.

PS: this is exactly why I try not to read the topics about defects or problems (cf. the other topic "Defect on my new SP3"). Then you look at your SP3 to check if you have the defect, and you realize you have something that you never saw before. And it drives you nuts.

Yes, it's annoying when that happens. I'm going to hold on to this unit because it's been working flawlessly; I've been averaging about 9.5 hours of battery life, which is amazing. I was averaging about 7 hours on my previous unit.

RémiM

Go to the Eaton Center (or Square One) and see what they tell you.

Do you see any scratches on the edge of the frame, or is it just an optical effect ?

RémiM

Well, then I agree with your previous comment:
I'm going to hold on to this unit because it's been working flawlessly; I've been averaging about 9.5 hours of battery life, which is amazing. I was averaging about 7 hours on my previous unit.

Yes, it's annoying when that happens. I'm going to hold on to this unit because it's been working flawlessly; I've been averaging about 9.5 hours of battery life, which is amazing. I was averaging about 7 hours on my previous unit.

My first SP3 was getting over 8 hrs usage on battery power. I returned it because it had the slow Samsung SSD. The new unit has the faster SSD but this one gets over 6 hrs usage on battery. I don't care about that so much because I really don't need battery power very often. I wonder if the SSD makes a difference in the battery usage times.