What's new

(Kernel-Power-Exception) Reboot/Crash after/while in sleep mode

bender

I'm wondering why my surface always starts normally and not my last session... All work is gone and all apps closed, normal restart...

I have checked log and saw there is a Kernel-Power-Exception which causes the crash and unwanted restart!

I have read that many users have this issue but maybe someone here have a solution... Maybe higher sleep voltage? What do you mean, or should I request a RMA? Thanks a lot!

Nuspieds

I have an SP2 and am currently experiencing this issue.

I, too, searched all over the internet, found all sorts of proposed solutions, but nothing has worked for me. The problem only started to happen after the last firmware update, so I am convinced that is the culprit in my case.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering why my surface always starts normally and not my last session... All work is gone and all apps closed, normal restart...

I have checked log and saw there is a Kernel-Power-Exception which causes the crash and unwanted restart!

I have read that many users have this issue but maybe someone here have a solution... Maybe higher sleep voltage? What do you mean, or should I request a RMA? Thanks a lot!
That Big-check is usually related to Power Management, are you using the stock drivers or have you installed the Intel Reference Video Driver? Are you using the Type Cover? Are there any pending Firmware or Hardware Updates?

Lastly, if none of those work, I would reset the machine before I tried an RMA.

OP
B

bender

It is my third device, all had this issue but it seems that it gets worse since the last updates... My thought was that, the voltage on sleep gets to low and then the device gets a bsod, because it is the same behavior when you lower the voltage in Intel extreme tune utility... Don't know...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is my third device, all had this issue but it seems that it gets worse since the last updates... My thought was that, the voltage on sleep gets to low and then the device gets a bsod, because it is the same behavior when you lower the voltage in Intel extreme tune utility... Don't know...
So you're attempting to tweak voltage? These S0iX Systems are very different to anything else on the market add to that complexity the SP3 has a dedicated Power Management/Thermal Firmware EPROM, I wouldn't attempt any changes using Intel's Extreme Tune utility.

OP
B

bender

Ah, I have tried on my first device to underclock + undervoltage, but at to low settings you will get the same failure. You say, I should raise the voltage?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I have tried on my first device to underclock + undervoltage, but at to low settings you will get the same failure. You say, I should raise the voltage?
I'm saying that on these types of systems I wouldn't try to tweak anything, these systems are tuned at the Firmware Level, both UEFI Firmware and the additional Power Management Firmware.

OP
B

bender

"..., I wouldn't attempt any changes using Intel's Extreme Tune utility. ..."

So what would you do? RMA?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
"..., I would attempt any changes using Intel's Extreme Tune utility. ..."

So what would you do? RMA?
Set it back to normal with the Utility and uninstall it...reboot and hopefully no more BSODs if not Reset the Device...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I never set something on this device. This is a failure occurs with factory set!
You said you were using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to under-clock the CPU...now I'm confused. Were you using the utility on your SP3? If not, Do a reset, update the Firmware if available and if it is still doing it you may need to RMA the device.

OP
B

bender

I'm saying, that I had used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on my frist SP3 and then I had the same issue, but now I'm on my third SP3 and I have never used it again.

In my view, Microsoft has set the sleep voltage too low with the last firmware update.