What's new

Let's talk about the hinge

Rugbyguy541

So to start off, I love my SP3. I get tired of the posts like "Convince me to keep it" or "I want to love it, but thinking of returning it". I recognize all products have flaws.

I think there is a lot that can be done with the hinge to improve/change it to better fit someones specific needs. Right now I have a few things I am working on, wondering if anyone has explored this stuff

1) Can you tighten/loosen the hinge in any way? That way over time, you can re tighten it if it starts to become loose.

2) how easy would it be to take the kickstand on and off, maybe replace the hinges. Right now on my right side, it is a bit loose (nothing bad) but if I focus on it when opening it, or fiddling with it (you see something wrong and then that's all you can think about) it does "wobble".

3) How likely do you think it is we'll see a "locking" accessory? I have been doing some research as to how to make your own, and was wondering if anyone else has looked into this? I was things of something you would attach at the hinges, to lock the kickstand in that position. For me, I like to fully rest my hand on the device when I write my notes for school, and I have had to start watching my pressure more and more because I can tell the hinges are getting a tiny bit looser, thus making the kickstand open more with less pressure. I think the ability to "lock" the kickstand into place would be absolutely fantastic. I understand there are risks of having a lock, then putting to much weight on it and breaking the hinges and possibly damaging the SP3 itself, but that goes back to ease of replacing the hinges.

If I had the money, I would find the cheapest used/broken SP3 myself and do a complete video tear down, but unfortunately, I am a poor college kid!

Has anyone fiddled around with the hinges, seen any talk for how to improve it? Open hinge discussion!

wynand32

Personally, I wouldn't imagine fiddling with the hinge in any way, shape, or form. If it loosens up or in any way fails to perform, I'll simply consider that a warranty issue and let Microsoft handle it.

Kif

But the extended warranty with accidental damage and forgot about it. If the hinge goes out that's Microsoft problem.

cdf3

I have concerns about he hinge loosing it's rigidness over time. I'm able to place it in any position, and it firmly holds in place. I'm concerned that over time there might be some slippage. I'll probably end up getting some type of warranty due to my concern of the hinge. It'll be fine to send it in while under warranty. I'm hoping there's an easy way to adjust the hinges several years down the road, once the warranty is up.

Eclectified

Just picked my SP3 up today. Have any of you had an issue with the hinge making a clicky or pop noise when opening beyond about 50% of full open? Seems the hinge on the USB side is clicky. I really hate the idea of having to drive out to the MS store again as it's a perpetually congested drive. :(

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm concerned that over time the USB port might fall out. I'll start thinking of ways to tinker with it prematurely, just in case.

You've many months left on your warranty, if you're already seeing something that worries you, then youve plenty of time to see if your fears were warranted, and can just send it back for replacement.

Kif

The hinge is similar to a laptop screen hinge and they usually have a little flex and aren't 100% smooth. Saying this as I mentioned I bought the extended warranty just to be safe.

scottysize

The hinge is similar to a laptop screen hinge and they usually have a little flex and aren't 100% smooth. Saying this as I mentioned I bought the extended warranty just to be safe.
^^^^ My thoughts exactly. I refuse to worry about something prior to it actually happening. If you are worried, pick up the extra warranty for peace of mind.

(Having said that, I would like to see some products that snap in like the keyboard, but open like a laptop. I'm sure someone's working on one, but it'll cost $150 when they release it.)

Only time will tell and only time can answer your concerns.

kodos

Just picked my SP3 up today. Have any of you had an issue with the hinge making a clicky or pop noise when opening beyond about 50% of full open? Seems the hinge on the USB side is clicky. I really hate the idea of having to drive out to the MS store again as it's a perpetually congested drive. :(

Mine has a bit of a click and a hesitation at 50% as well. I think it is probably normal.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

I have not experienced anything but smooth movement. Sure it is tight, but that is good I think. For the click, open it while looking at the hinges and see if you can identify anything. Maybe use a dab (really, not alot at ALL) of grease or something to see if it will smooth it out.

Icemango

The Hinge is very similar to that of a laptop hinge, or a Nintendo DS hinge if you guys have one of those or tried them. They have the exact same mechanisms.