What's new

My SP3 froze in a meeting

Seneleron

I have spent enough time in IT to know the truth of this one:

The single biggest cause of Operating system failure, REGARDLESS of the Operating system, is PEBKAC.

I've never had any issues with gratuitous crashes on ANY operating system. This is not to say that I've never had any ISSUES, but they were a direct result of something outside the box I was attempting [overclocking as an example]

NSFW: Language

PocketAce

I wish the OP will add more details to the situation. What was the SP3 connected to. What software was open. Sometimes large PDFs can cause freeze due to adobe not the SP3. Also some software don't work well with network stored files. Did he boot from scratch or did he resume from hibernation etc. which model you were using? With the quick boot time of SP3 you can restart in no time...

People who say OS X don't freeze think again. Obviously you haven't experienced the "wheel of doom" as i call it. The funny thing it freezes on software even designed by apple. I have had whole editing project crash on me. My experience with apple yes it is usually stable but when it freeze on you its at the worse possible time. 90% of the time you can't get out of it with out rebooting. Windows is more flexible.

Back to the OP....Any good tips for people who may have experienced this with window 8 ? I always have a flash drive back up for any presentation and sometimes a paper copy as well. Mr.Murphy's Law has thought me well lol

OP
W

WorldIRC

It was a wake from sleep. 13 page PDF contract (800KB). It was the only app open. There really was no real reason for a total freeze requiring hard power off.

And yes, you're right. Only took about 15-20 seconds to reboot.

PocketAce

It was a wake from sleep. 13 page PDF contract (800KB). It was the only app open. There really was no real reason for a total freeze requiring hard power off.

That's weird. I can see how annoying that can be in the middle of the presentation. I hate when things like that mess with my flow. Sounds like an Adobe thing to me....but i could be wrong. Maybe your SP3 wanted to play a game instead and was being stubborn:)

OP
W

WorldIRC

That's weird. I can see how annoying that can be in the middle of the presentation. I hate when things like that mess with my flow. Sounds like an Adobe thing to me....but i could be wrong. Maybe your SP3 wanted to play a game instead and was being stubborn:)

At least the good news is the majority of businesses use Microsoft so "they understand" ;)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Which PDF renderer were you using, was it WinRT or Win32?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Adobe Software causing issues with freezing...God knows their desktop and browser apps have been doing it for years... ;)